Second Skin Audio

Loose banana plugs

Hi!

I have 2 12" Alpine Type-R's that I've had for oh, a year and a half. Recently I've been rebuilding my system and making it tamper proof and what have you... And there was one subwoofer that started smoking like mad a couple months ago, and of course I assumed it was fried. I took out the subwoofer and used only one in the box (dual-chambered) and eventually I cut the box in half and used the rest for a homemade boombox /w some left over Alpine speakers I have. Anyways I measured the resistance and low and behold it was blown... Recently I found out that one of the plugs on my multimeter was loose, and now it actually reads properly. But what I discovered in the process is that the banana plugs were HELLA loose and that might explain why it was starting to clip - the banana clip connecting the ground on the two coils was super loose on one side. So I used a little flathead screwdriver to bend the pins back out and now they stay in place. I'm gonna be testing the subs today and seeing if they work any better or cleaner. If you have banana plugs on your subs - please please double check them.

How common is it for banana plugs to come loose? And is there a way around it? Like soldering or some sort of other method to combine the coils without worrying about two little pieces of wire?