Sonic Electronix

no you cannot. you will most likely blow the woofers from clipping. the gain knob is NOT a volume knob.

x2 and Theres a tutorial in the amp section on how to set your gains with a dmm or if you have an oscope you could use that. Very simple too do!

2012 Civic Si Coupe

- Nada lol

3d7304fe.jpgDCSig.jpgaol.pngYoutube

No. The gain on the amplifier does exactly what it says it does, it "amplifiers" the musical signal. If your amplifier is rated to 300wrms, do not set your gain higher than that 300wrms level. When you try to amplifier the signal, you damage the sine wave being sent to your drivers. The result is a "clipped" signal that will take the excess energy and turn it into heat. This will aid you in burning tinsels as well as other things in the process of destroying your equipment.

There are more specific and scientific reasonings written up, but I just wanted to give you a general idea.

The gain is not an indicator as 0-100% of your amplifiers power. Depending on your pre-out voltage on your head unit, as well as current supplied from your battery bank, "100%" is generally somewhere in between.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

I know that. I was asking if it will still clip if it's underpowered. I think it's a stupid question, because gain is amp specific and has nothing to do with the subs?

The amplifier does the clipping. The subwoofers just do what you tell them to do by sending them the power. In this case, the subwoofers are the victims.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.