max tire size for 20s on an 05 impala

I have a set of 20 in rims i just bought for my 05 impala the tires that are on the rims now are a 245/35/20 they came off an 06 impala is this the max size that fits with the stock ride height. I do not wanna lift the car at all. I just wanna know if 275/55/20s are to big. I dont think a car should ever be lifted just for rims an tires to fit. Any help would be appreciated. If you have any rude or disrespectful things to say please do not reply

Mount the front wheels on and turn the wheel all the way in either direction. The rears are not that much of an issue.

You'll have to measure both sides because Chevy likes to make some of your vehicles steering geometry really tuck and lean the front tires in at full turn. Like on my S-10, it was lowered, and the driver's side rubbed more than the left! So keep the goemetry in mind.

Have someone turn the wheel and note the closest the tires edge gets to the wheel well.

Note the distance from the outer tire edge and the wheel well. That distance is your POSSIBLE tire height limit. Again, measure both sides and note the discripancy if any. The lowest # you get is the limit.

If you are at 1" clearance with the 245, you really have about 3/4" if you do not want it to rub. So you can move up to say a 50 series.

You can measure your tire height now, and add the distance you measured. This is your max tire height.

For me, my rear 275/35/18 is 24.75" tall. The stock rear 235/70/15 on the Camaro is 26.5" tall. Knowing this, I can put a tire on that is or close to 26.5". But the width is now the factor in turning the front wheels without rubbing.

Now keep in mind, that 275 vs. 245 is 30mm, over 1", so the tire will push out off the lip. This pushing out will make that distance you initially measured smaller!

That is before adding the 55 series height into the mix!

Remember, going wider may mess up that leaning tire geometry and you may get a rub with a 275/55 tire.

See what I am saying??

Any aftermarket tire place that sells 20's can tell you for sure what is the max that will fit on your Impala.

Hope this helps.

-Frank

Archived