Second Skin Audio

Unkown Speaker Stats

slugdub

Ok, so I have this older box with two 12's inside and its sealed, with silicon gel I believe.

I would like to know what the ohms, wattage is of the speakers but I'm afraid my options are slim:

A) crack the box (a pain, especially if I have to pry at the glue)

B ) put a telescoping mirror inside the vent with a flashlight and try to read the back of the speakers (where do I even get such a mirror)

The speakers are R/T brand? And probably 12 years old. Its a great box and I hate to waste it, really. Plus I'm too lazy, cheap to build a new enclosure (although I could manage easily I'm sure).

I want to find a good amp to power them. I think they are rated up to at least like 300 RMS, and I've been barely running them at 125. I want to find a good amp to run these but am unsure as to my next step.

images-1.jpg

As far as ohm you can use a multimeter on the terminals. For wattage I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try emailing the manufacturer.

2000 Jeep Cherokee

-DC Audio

-Memphis

-Audioque

-SecondSkin

-Pioneer

-KnuKonceptz

As far as ohm you can use a multimeter on the terminals. For wattage I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try emailing the manufacturer.

Yeah, I think I'm SOL on the manufacturer since its unkown now ( R/T is what they say)

I know MTX makes a Road Thunder and Polk makes an RT, but I can't be sure they are the same.

images-1.jpg

Yea just put a multimeter on the speaker terminals, and set it to resistance, which will look like this: Ω

If its that old it might be wired to 4 or even 8 ohms, as amps were typically higher impedance then. In which case you may be forced to cut the box open to rewire the subs to a load more common of todays amps if you can't find a decent amp.

2001 Chevy Blazer

(2) SAZ-3000Ds

(2) custom 18" Madmax subs in a second row wall

Rockford 600-4

Pioneer PRS components

Pioneer P800PRS deck

oh dang creyc, you may be right. it was so long ago that i had someone test the ohms and if what you say is true, that might explain a lot.

Would two 8 ohm speakers destroy my rockford punch 250a when wired bridged? lol, dang I wreck everything.

images-1.jpg

Ok, so I have this older box with two 12's inside and its sealed, with silicon gel I believe.

I would like to know what the ohms, wattage is of the speakers but I'm afraid my options are slim:

A) crack the box (a pain, especially if I have to pry at the glue)

B ) put a telescoping mirror inside the vent with a flashlight and try to read the back of the speakers (where do I even get such a mirror)

The speakers are R/T brand? And probably 12 years old. Its a great box and I hate to waste it, really. Plus I'm too lazy, cheap to build a new enclosure (although I could manage easily I'm sure).

I want to find a good amp to power them. I think they are rated up to at least like 300 RMS, and I've been barely running them at 125. I want to find a good amp to run these but am unsure as to my next step.

dont get me wrong im not putting you down but c'mon. you've got to be able to do better than that for a system. i make almost no money i drive a car i paid $500 for and i still managed to leagaly acquire a kenwood DDX7017 6.5" touch screen (head unit), a clarion EQS746 (equalizer), a US AMPs XT4000D (sub amp), a fusion FP604 (hi's amp), 2 kicker CVR12s, and 8 clarion 5 1/4s. even tho i cant even afford the 0/1 wire to properly run the amps with :rolleyes:

dont get me wrong im not putting you down but c'mon. you've got to be able to do better than that for a system. i make almost no money i drive a car i paid $500 for and i still managed to leagaly acquire a kenwood DDX7017 6.5" touch screen (head unit), a clarion EQS746 (equalizer), a US AMPs XT4000D (sub amp), a fusion FP604 (hi's amp), 2 kicker CVR12s, and 8 clarion 5 1/4s. even tho i cant even afford the 0/1 wire to properly run the amps with :rolleyes:

LOL, no offense taken. I guess its just hard for me to throw stuff away if its working. We shall see. There is just sooo much bargain basement halfway decent components out there, I just like the idea of building something without paying out the wazoo.

I mean, if I can get a real loud decent sounding home theater setup for $2-$300 then why would I pay much more for my car?

Also, its not so much the money, its the "in hand" part too. I'm too impatient to spend time bidding on two subs, hope they match and wait for them to show up.. then find a box.

Also my company is closing, I get some severance, but I want to really save money and have a hobby at the same time. If I get a new car I'll probably be more after the components you talk of.

images-1.jpg

Archived