Second Skin Audio

Need help with port direction!!!!!!!

Hello SMD members,

I have all my equipment for the build except there's just one tiny problem remaining before it can be started, the port direction. So here's the lowdown. My old system, an Alpine Type X 12" powered off of an Alpine PDX 1.1000 in a 2 cubic foot box tuned to 32 hertz did a 144 dB at 43 hertz at the dash with both windows open. In this setup I had the port and subwoofer facing toward the trunk, with the port on the drivers side. I tried moving the box around with the subwoofer and port facing up but it didn't sound as loud compared to the box facing the trunk.

With my new set up my goal is at least 4 cubic feet of net volume after all displacements (including the port). I will essentially be maxing out all the space in my little hatchback trunk. My dimensions for the box are as follows: 22" depth, 35" width, and 15" height. There is very little room to play with which way the subwoofer faces besides upward and I don't know which way to face the port. I will be tuning my box for daily - music, somewhere in between 32-38 hertz. Here are some pictures of my dilemma. I will give each idea a number, please pick the option in which you think will sound the loudest and also get me the best numbers.

For example purposes, I put my old Alpine X 12" driver and the box in the trunk to show different examples. I also put the two XS D3100's where they will be placed in my new build.

First a brief overview, note that the new box will max out the width completely in the trunk, there will be no room on either side. This will be option #1, the port and the subwoofer facing up, allowing good airspace.

IMGP0286.jpg

Next is a top view, note the gap between the box and the batteries. The gap will be absent, since the depth dimensions of my new box will extend within a half an inch of the batteries.

IMGP0288.jpg

Next is a picture of the left wheel well. (OPTION #2) Maybe I can put the port on the side of the box and fire directly into there.

IMGP0289.jpg

(OPTION #2) This is how the new box will line up with the left rear well.

IMGP0294.jpg

Next is a picture of the right wheel well, which is slightly bigger than the one on the left.

IMGP0290.jpg

Just a picture of where my Sundown 4500D will be placed.

IMGP0291.jpg

I think this may be my best option. (OPTION #3) Pushing the batteries all the way to the right as much as possible, leaving some room for the port to be facing toward the trunk. Note that the old box is pushed to the left as much as possible and pushed almost all the way against the batteries, replicating the placement of my new box. This picture represents the way the new box will lie, except the sub will be facing up.

IMGP0292.jpg

Here's a closer look at how tight everything is between the back of the trunk, to the batteries, to the box.

IMGP0295.jpg

Here's just a picture of the airspace the port may be fired into which could be for either option #1 or #2.

IMGP0293.jpg

Then here is just a picture of the room between the back window and the top of the box.

IMGP0299.jpg

and another,

IMGP0298.jpg

So there you have it. Definitely a bit confusing, sorry about that, but if you have any further questions let me know. I need some help here fellas! Input is appreciated greatly :drinks:

Edited by SigmaBallistics

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 v6

2 sundown audio prototype nsv4 15s

crossfire 4k wired to 0.4 ohm

15 banks of maxwell 3.0 caps @ 18v

triple alts (x2 us alt 250's, x1 singer 320)

153 at 23hz