2011-02-22_08-33.jpg

Okay first off you can find this elsewhere I know but unless you have your head crammed into bike forums you may have missed it. So I just did this today in my living room and bedroom. Let me know what you think.

Thing you'll NEED: For a 2001 r6. Different bike means different tools.

12mm and 14mm sockets (and 14mm wrench)

A drill fitted with a drill bit of the appropriate size (and philips for screws it applicable

A metal saw (I used a hack saw because it's cold in the garage but bandsaw would be ideal)

Either rivets from your local hardware or self taping screws (which i opted for, explain why later..

And that should be all you need. Self tapers and a couple good blades for my hack saw ran me $3 and some change at the local hardware(remember to support small business)

Now for the fun part. Remove the exhaust from the bike useing your 12mm and 14mm wrench and sockets.

r102.jpg

So far so good. Now your going to want to drill the endcap rivets out on the exit side so the cap can be removed.

r103.jpg

Next take your chosen measurement and splash it on the can with a scribe or pin. Marker works fine as well. I personally opted to take off 8 inches which worked great.

And cut away. Get as close to perfect as you can but if you skip up it is okay it will be covered when you reinstall the end cap. Now you can cut through all the way blind but i choose to do some disassembly for pictures sake.

r104.jpg

r105.jpg

Just cut in staight down the line all the way through. At 8 inches on a stock 01 r6 it went through fine without a hicup. This is the piece that should remain inside the part of the exhaust you will reuse.

r106.jpg

And this is whats coming off and why your bike is so damn quiet.

r107.jpg

Muffler with the # 1 baffle reinstalled. Not that crazy looking one either lol

r108.jpg

r109.jpg

Reinstall the encap with either rivets or self tapping screws. With self tapers you can remove it easily if you decide to paint the can and you still want chrome ends (this is the route i chose).

r110.jpg

r111.jpg

Now reinstall the exhaust on the bike the same it came off and there you go. Sounds good. Has that aftermarket shorty look without that 300 dollar price tag. And you can always paint it with high temp engine paint for that really custom look.

r115.jpg

r113.jpg

r114.jpg

And it's quite a bit louder as well :good::clapping:

before and after

2011-02-22_08-33.jpg

r115.jpg

Have fun, ride safe, and good luck.[/color][/color][/color]

Edited by mxer111

Looking for a CRX to get back in the game.

And a gas tank for my 01 r6. Hit the PM

Also I forgot to mention my bike was already jetted Prior to this mod. Stock jetting and less back pressure could be bad. I have not heard of anyone else having trouble but for a hundred bucks I would suggest getting a rejet with any exhaust mod. I weigh 215 pounds and I can clutch it up in 2nd sitting on the tank no problem. Well worth it.

Looking for a CRX to get back in the game.

And a gas tank for my 01 r6. Hit the PM