My Fellow Competitors

Team Bassick - Kimo

Without a doubt the industry is changing. Not only can you see it at a local retail level but it was also very noticeable on the floor at CES. Combine the technology changes with a struggling economy and the marketing of a stereo comp, doesn't exactly fit a business model anymore. It is very difficult to ask a retailer to host a show when the cars who attend these shows are for the most part not customers. Add to it that customer cars often times have a hard time being competitive in most formats can make it tough to retain those customers as competitors.

I think in times like this, it is important for all of us to be ambassadors for the sport. We need to keep an eye out for new competitors and help them whenever we can. It is important for us to help them become competitive understand their classes and give them tips to get the most out of their systems.

I also think it is time for all of us to take the time to look for opportunity to host shows. We need to look further then the local retail shops. we need to get in touch with local car clubs, car shows and events. We need competitors to scope out up coming events and make contact with local promoters. If you can peak the interest of these promoters, then have them get in touch with your local Stereo Promoter. Or if your in cali, then with guys like Kimo, Aubrey, Dale or even myself so we can work on growing the sport.

Our best opportunity to grow the sport is with exposure. The fastest way to do that is to cross market ourselves with car show events. It is a target rich environment that may also have a love for music, but is unaware of our events.

Bill

Well said Bill. Thats what our team started doing last year. This year we are hosting 3 shows minimum. We sponsor the event, arrange for donations from manufacturers for raffle items and do all the promotion. We adopted NSPL as our teams format for the shows we host since there are classes for almost anyone that wants to compete. We try and incorporate local shops into the event as well. We have been pleased with the turnouts so far and every show seems to bring a few newcomers who eventually want to join in the fun.

A lot of shops just arent geared twords creating Bass Monsters for competitions. Like you said it really isnt a good business model. There arent enough of us to keep a business busy with work to sustain them. Plus the fact that we are all pretty much home building our systems. The best we can offer is a place for them to setup and show there wares and showcase their work.

I like DB Drag but dont like how no wall or under the window line is classified. Mostly because I cant build what I want and keep it under the window line according to the rules. But thats just my problem. In NSPL I dont have that problem. My truck isnt built for comps per-say but is built for my enjoyment. I just happen to like competing as well and have to fit my system into what ever format I compete in. I think that is something that every org ought to consider. Its hard enough to get the turnout you want to have a successful event with the rules you have in place for the classes. Then someone like myself comes to an event with a decent system but has to compete with a monster system that will crush me. There needs to be some sort of balance that allows us backyard ground pounders to come out and play with the more serious competitors. If not your just closing the door on a lot of people who just want to have fun and dont want to build comp specific vehicles. The last DB Drag event I went to cost me 75.00 to enter and I got to burp my truck one time. Not very much fun was had that day competing. I will do it again but I bet a lot of people in the same position wouldnt.

Archived