Getting a used ford manual transmission?

would it be a bad idea to take a used tremec tr-3650 from a 01 mustang or so and would i have to rebuild it or anything besides replace clutch disk's and what not. i was thinking of getting a crown vic and putting a 5 speed in it and i am considering for shits and grins to see if i can outsmart the computer with some resistors that amount to what the solenoid and what not that is on the automatic instead of spending 400 for a tune. And how much would a used one run me that is in decent condition generally. The gear selector would be put in neutral permanently of course. So any opinions or thoughts on it would be great!

Um...I would just get a tune. Much less headache and plus then you can get other tuning done for more power while you're at it.

You're also gonna need to figure out pedals, clutch master cylinder and reservoir, find some way to make the manual NSS work (IIRC it's not in the shifter it's in the trans) and maybe even modify the trans tunnel.

As for just leaving the stock shifter in neutral, besides what I mentioned about the neutral safety switch, then you wouldn't be able to remove the key I believe (mine can only be pulled in park, not neutral.)

Too many projects, too little time...

Um...I would just get a tune. Much less headache and plus then you can get other tuning done for more power while you're at it.

You're also gonna need to figure out pedals, clutch master cylinder and reservoir, find some way to make the manual NSS work (IIRC it's not in the shifter it's in the trans) and maybe even modify the trans tunnel.

As for just leaving the stock shifter in neutral, besides what I mentioned about the neutral safety switch, then you wouldn't be able to remove the key I believe (mine can only be pulled in park, not neutral.)

so how would i over come the neutral switch? is it a switch that is normally open or normally closed? and moving the car in park would that freak anything out and stall the engine?