Second Skin Audio

Double Checking Box Design

So in order to get the port area and the port length I need, the port will have to be pretty long, so I was wondering if when doing a slotted port you can double back the ports to get the required length? Pic included to show what I mean by double back.

boxsketch.jpg

You can make as many bends in a port as you wish, but you have to make sure the port size is not affected.

The ports in my box actually have... Four bends each. Bending a port could save a lot of Enclosure volume if you do it right.

Chris - "The Apprentice" - Pandora's Box Customs

1994 Ford Explorer - "Midnight" - 4.0L SOHC

SoundStream PCX-1000D & Kicker S12L5

JL has a great write-up about this...

------------------------------------------JL Audio - Car Audio Systems http://bit.ly/kD7o2l ------------------------------------------

Slot / Ducts

Ducts are often used when a particular alignment calls for an outrageously long port to be squeezed in a very tiny enclosure due to a very low tuning. This scenario is commonly encountered when constructing ported enclosures for long excursion drivers.

Designing and implementing a duct in your own project is really not as hard as it may seem at first, but there are a few guidelines you must follow if you are to experience any degree of success utilizing this porting technique.

Below is a perspective view of a typical duct port along with a few helpful tips on how to get the best results from your duct.

duct3-D.jpg

Ok peoples, this is what I came up with. The box is 36 wide, 24 deep and 15 tall. The port is 2.5" wide and 13.5" tall, giving me 33.75 sq in of port area per sub. Each sub will have 1.87 cu ft after speaker and port displacement. The port is 38.625" long bringing the frequency of the box to about 33.45 Hz. All math was checked against the equation found on the JL site provided, along with following the guidelines JL has for ported enclosures. Thanks again for all your help and let me know what you all think.

hammybox1.jpg

hammybox2.jpg

Edited by wafsman

That looks like a good setup to me.

Similar to a build I made before.

It is just unfortunate you will be losing so much Enclosure volume from port displacement, but its all good.

You should not have any problems with port noise with monsters that size...

By the way, just for future reference as well, the Rule of thumb is a maximum of 8:1 for Height:Width on a rectangular port. You met this easily, but just wanted to throw out some more data for any others watching and considering this thread...

Edited by PandorasCustoms