Sonic Electronix

I like to lurk this board from time to time, mostly the 'tunez' section for beats. I recently bought a car and have a little money to rebuild the system (it had no audio equipment upon purchase) but don't know exactly where to go next, so I figured I'd come here and ask for some help.

-----

I have a 1989 Acura Integra (1.6L 4-cyl 5-spd). Its a 3-door hatchback. What I've done to it so far is put a Sony deck (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-CDXGT540UI-Player-Receiver-Black/dp/B002PK0SNM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308026997&sr=8-1) into it and a pair of 3-way Rockford Fosgate 6.5" speakers. They wouldn't fit directly into the doors (stupid me) so I used a spacer to put in between.

Now I have a little bit more money and I'd like to put an amp, a sub, or maybe even some tweeters into my car. I know only a little about car audio so I'm not sure what would be an affordable but decent path to take. I was thinking about getting one 12-15" sub- a Kicker or RF perhaps, but I'm not too sure about the amp. In fact, I have no idea what amp I should get. What I have learned/read/been told is that the amp will power the sub basically. So what I get should be based off of what sub I get.

So my question to you guys: Based on what I've said above, anyone have any tips/suggestions as to what I should put into my car next? I want the grand total to be below $200, but if it goes up to $250.00 its okay.

Thanks!

So much to learn...

Is that 200? for the sub, amp, box, wiring? If so your gonna have a hard time finding anything decent, i would definitely start looking in the classifieds theres some good deals going on but my best advice is to save up a little and do it right the first time cause youll always want it louder once you buy something. Even if you have to buy piece by piece you may be better off doing it slow.

Is that 200? for the sub, amp, box, wiring? If so your gonna have a hard time finding anything decent, i would definitely start looking in the classifieds theres some good deals going on but my best advice is to save up a little and do it right the first time cause youll always want it louder once you buy something. Even if you have to buy piece by piece you may be better off doing it slow.

x2 always worth it to get better equipment right away, even if its piece by piece.

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

Id just save up a little more and get a sundown SA-12 and a decent 800wrms amp.

Not a bad idea..but see below.

Yeah actually :blush: I have considered saving up and getting higher quality stuff, but I'm not really looking to create a really good system. I'm being more or less impatient with myself because I won't be able to raise much for the cause for several months.

But you make a strong point.

e: Okay, so omitting the price range I have, what would be some things I should look into purchasing in the future? So I can set some sort of goals for myself.

Edited by Breedwell

So much to learn...

I have seen good deals on second hand gear here and on CACO . And give this thread a few days, people with the knowledge will chime in eventually and give you really good opinions. My only advice would be to be patient and try not to rush it, it took me about 8 months to save up enough to buy what I have right now and it's still not "exactly" what I want.

Good luck and welcome,

J

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

First i would decide if you want a 12 or a 15, then build a box if your able. At the most 100 dollars for supplies and you have a box that is gonna be better then almost any pre fab. Then decide on the sub you want Sundown, DC, Rockford Fosgate, kicker, Etc. Basically just personal preferance but around here youll get a lot of support for brands such as DC and Sundown.

I would definitely look into a Sa-12 or SA-15, can be bought brand new for around 200-250. Then a decent amp to power it probably some where between 500-750 watt. Look into audioque which isnt bad from what ive heard, or mainstream like kicker of Fosgate you may be able to get a decent amp from them

Then amp kit probably around 50-100 dollars and then just do the big 3 upgrade and i think you would be plenty happy for a nice decently loud system. I would say probably around 400-500 dollars and you would be very excited with your purchases.

I'll probably check this daily and bump it occasionally so I can get various opinions and go from there.

Based off of Justin/Bumpin' I can get a decent 12-15" sub for around $150-250, and then I should look for an amp with 500-1k RMS depending on the specific sub.

e: Do you guys think it'll sound good with just the 3-ways and a sub?

Edited by Breedwell

So much to learn...

Correct, just research the subs a little and you will find something that attracts your attention. The lvl 3 is a good choice too, im sure more people will chime in but they willl set you on the right track. Just take your time there's no rush to buy, if you do you will regret it later on when your having to upgrade. But good luck gotta get to bed work is gonna come early.