Sundown Audio

Amp issue AT-3000.1d

EVERYTHING IS HOOKED UP RIGHT!

So I took the old hifonics out and I'm putting the at3000.1d in

I got a small arc when I put the ground in its respected terminal. Seemed normal but the amp hasn't been run in months.

After I set the gain with a dmmm, I shut it back down and started putting the speaker wires in the terminals, when I was screwing the neg speaker output down I accidentally touched the chassis and the same time and got a small acr again. Anyway finished hooking it it all up. When I power the amp on the protect light comes on for a brief moment(like a split second) then the green power light illuminates and powers up with no issues. I played it for a few minutes, cranked on it a little bit and it preformed well beyond my hopes, so I turned it back down and went to screw the chassis down to the back of the back seat. behind the fabric covering is metal and once the screw got threw the fabric I got a massive arc and the subs popped then continued to play. My other amp was hooked up the same way with no issues. I also noticed when I touched the amp and part of the car I'd get a little shock. So I double checked everything, and its all wired up right. so with the amp running I put my dmm on dcv-20 and put the positive probe on the amp chassis and the neg probe on a ground and got 1 on the read out. Puzzled for a moment I put the dmm on dcv-200 and then 97 came on the read out with the pos probe on the amp and neg probe on the ground, then I put the neg probe on the power lead off the batt and got 88ish. if I swap the probes I (neg probe on the amp) I get -97ish/-88ish. So I powered it all down and went to checking again. Well the 97/88 started dropping. After leaving it alone for a few min I put my dmm back on dcv-20 and put the black probe on the amp chassis and red probe on the power lead I got 12.98 on my read out which is normal. So what the hell is going on? The amp plays fine, it didn't get warm at all, no popping, no smells. Sorry for the long read, just trying to provide as much info as possible.

also this amp is the same as the saz3000d here's pics.

my atomic amp

IMAG0101-1.jpg

saz3000

SAZ-3000D_internals.jpg

drove around for a while, amp played fine with no issues. Played white clouds for a min, no issues except voltage drop lol. I got some 9v batts for my other dmm and I'll do more testing tomorrow. still looking for input

Checked it all with a diff dmm and got the same readings. Pics of the board and stuff.

IMAG0103-1.jpg

Is this suppose to be like that?

IMAG0104-1.jpg

IMAG0115.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

This is with the amp on. Amp off it reads normal. 12.8

IMAG0126.jpg

whats ur question?

whats ur electrical ? stock alt ? final ohm ?

edit

dont get how u set ur gains with dmm ? mightas well do it by ear.. lol.... still dont know when u clipp so same sshit..

i think u set it wrong on ur dmm to read the voltage ?

Edited by __d_a_v_i_d__

whats ur question?

whats ur electrical ? stock alt ? final ohm ?

edit

dont get how u set ur gains with dmm ? mightas well do it by ear.. lol.... still dont know when u clipp so same sshit..

i think u set it wrong on ur dmm to read the voltage ?

electrical is in my sig, spp1200 and hc2000, big 3, stock alt, final load is 1.2 Question is why am I getting positive current through the chassis of the amp. I've triple checked all grounds, amp is grounded to the batt, there's no loose leads in the case. and why is the current going up to 100v+ ?

you take the sq root of your rms and trun your gain up till you get desired voltage at the speaker outputs. mine being 50 but its set to 48v now.

Ok well I was checking the power fets on the amp after I pulled it out. There ended up being a grounding issue with them but I couldn't rule out which one it was so I pulled the whole board out of the case lol.

Looks like when the board was replaced by Atomic they neglected to to smooth out where an arc had accrued, which cut through the insulator and grounded it out I think. I'm waiting on a few things to dry then I'll put the amp back in, but it appears the ground is fixed.

Here's the pics

see the small cut

IMAG0128.jpg

the arc spot

IMAG01292.jpg

smoothed it out with some high grit sandpaper

IMAG01302.jpg

the nasty spot on the on the insulator, got it cleaned up

IMAG01312.jpg

put some silicone in there too :) everyone likes silicone right?