Second Skin Audio

These 10's sure are acting odd. Any suggestions?

What's up guys, I've been a member for a while, first time posting though. I'm always digging around and seeing what ideas I can pull from other peoples builds and stuff.

I have 4 directed audio 10's in my extended cab Ranger, they were running great for a while. They're 4 ohm, single coil. I had them down at 2 ohms x2 on my legacy LA720.<(Dont make fun, been running this amp on countless configurations for over 5 years.)I ran them for a little over 2 months in this configuration.

After playing around I realized one of the speakers really took a toll on the amp. I'd unhook it and run it 1channel @ 4 ohm, and 1 channel @2 ohm and it slams, put down 131 on termlab. Running 3.

When id hook them up individually, or wire that speaker into the other channel eliminating one of the others it just kills the power. The subs just sound like I cut the power in half.

Example, If I take the suspect power killer and wire it on one channel @ 4 ohms and another on the other channel @4 ohms, the amp just doesnt perform. at all.

The only reason I don't think it's the amp is because I've run numerous 2 ohms setups on this amp and never have had a problem. The amp is 2ohm stable.

So could it be on its way out? It plays fine, just as clean as the others, no odd noises, no smells. I've killed plenty of speakers in my day and it just seems like this shouldn't be a dead one.

Anyone have any ideas? It's just odd. Maybe this poor amp is giving out. Wouldn't surprise me, I've have abused this thing to no end, the best $60 I've ever spent.

Archived