Second Skin Audio

Recone thoughts

dcofer

Okay so I have a Crystal CMP8 (beastly sub if you know it, power handling is misleading) that I got many years ago and kinda overpowered it for a while, fed it 2x + the power and it ate it like a anaconda eats a person. I think it was a prototype design for their competition series since it never progressed with the new designs, Hard to get a hold of if I remember right, mine was the last one in stock at their shop when I got it.

With that said the spider partially ripped from the cone (though the coil is still in perfect working order). With low power <100W continuous it works like a charm and have used it in my garage for 4 years. Now I am considering re-coning it, and not only to get it working full tilt again but for practice since it is already broken.

I am not sure how big the coil is but I would estimate 2". Where can I find a good re-cone kit for an 8"? (or a basket and re-cone kit for a 6.5" :peepwall: ) From me pushing on it I cant even extend the cone down to bottom out manually so it can handle a lot of excursion (i can push ~1" down) what does happen is it does not go down straight and then scrapes on the motor under high excursion.

And now for the finally here are some pics of the sub:

376a6670.jpg

364a837f.jpg

Again Im new to re-coning and have read kingSUV's topic (which is what inspired me) and know nothing aside from what I read about re-coning.

Thanks

Archived