Phoenix Gold Australia's 12x 12" Elite's 24kw - 160.2dB @ 40Hz

Finally it was time to breakout the home-made perfect circle jig for the router and cut some trim rings for the speakers and start glueing them into position to make the look good and get some angles that will let us vinyl the pods easily afterwards...

IMGP3443.jpg

I'm 5' 10" and there's no issues with clearance for 'headroom' so the final angles were set and glued and screwed

IMGP3443.jpg

Triple check of speaker tolerances

IMGP3460.jpg

Two Thumbs Up from our foreman!!!

IMGP3462.jpg

Tomorrow it's some final flowinessness and blending into the B-Pillars, then time to stretch the fabric. Once that's done it's time to start on sealing off the bottom of the box and blending it into the B-Pillars. Hoping to create some cabinets down there to house 2 amplifiers and the processors...we'll see how we go!!

More tomorrow!

Cheers,

Scott

not a fan of mids and highs being behind my head but very nice work nonetheless. :good: :good: :good:

I hear ya, but needed to 'try' and get a bit more vocals into the vehicle, and this was on of the only spots left free. Not that this is an SQ build in any way shape or form, but we do have 3pr of 6-1/2" components in the doors as well so it works decent as a front stage.

The 5-1/4's are more for people when they stick their head in the car during door open demos...

Also planning another 3pr of 5-1/4's firing out of windows in the rear doors, with another 2pr in the hatch by the amp rack.

:D

Hi All,

Well Sunday saw some good progress being made on the B-Pillars. We had to mate them into the new roof mounted speaker pods to ensure we got a tight seal and that things looked right visually. We also did the final shaping of the roof mount speaker pod to give it a bit of much needed Swoopiness!

Not a lot to see visually, but some really good progress made on sealing off the cabin from the rear of the car, and trying to make it look decent too...

Pics:

B-Pillar frames in place with start of the material stretched

IMGP3463.jpg

IMGP3464.jpg

Final bracing on the Left, original temp bracing on the right:

IMGP3466.jpg

Back of B-Pillar installed in car...still need to trim to size but that will happen when we finalise the layout for the rear doors

IMGP3467.jpg

Getting dark but got the transition from the B-Pillar into the Speaker pod done, with material stretched, all ready for glass...

IMGP3468.jpg

IMGP3469.jpg

Hoping to get the RCA boxes done today, and Tuesday (tomorrow) is a holiday here, so I want to get the bottom section of the front wall done and dusted completely sealing off the cabin from the back of the car...

Anyway hope you're liking the progress so far...getting down to the point end of things now!!!

Cheers,

Scott

Hi All,

Quick update before heading to the garage to spend our public holiday working on the car...

Found some 'quiet' jobs to do last night while Finn was sleeping.

Bec stretching the grille cloth over the roof mount speaker pod:

IMGP3477.jpg

IMGP3478.jpg

Starting to take shape:

IMGP3479.jpg

Ready for resin, hopefully it goes off overnight, but it's pretty cold here at the moment:

IMGP3480.jpg

After that was done we came back inside and found another 'quiet' job, wiring up the RCA distriution box. 1pr in and 9pr out. We also put a 470ohm resistor inline with each positive lead to help with the impedance drop as well as any turn on pop issues...Haven't tried this before but the boys from Phatt Audio Concepts told me to give it a try. Works great on the test bench, only time will tell what it does in the car. Hopefully the 9.5V rms coming from the EPIC-160 is enough to drive all 9 amps, don't think it should be a problem though!

IMGP3481.jpg

OK off to the garage!!!

Cheers,

Scott

Hi All,

So our day off holiday was put to good use, OK maybe not, but we did get out in the garage and sign a few more items off our To Do List!!!

Thankfully the resin on the B-Pillars and Roof mount speaker pod hardened up nicely last night, so we trimmed out the speaker holes and mounted them back in the car. You can really start to see how things are going to look now...

IMGP3482.jpg

Next project was to make some boxes to sit behind the seats, these will help to seal off the cabin as well as house some SD500.4 amplifers, the EPIC-160 and a few other goodies. We started with a Precision Engineered 'Cardboard' Template...then PRESTO we had boxes that fit (OK skipped a few of the boring and messy bits)

IMGP3483.jpg

IMGP3484.jpg

Next up was to start building the frame for the edge-lit plexiglass sign that will sit on the back wall of the enclosure. The thing about this enclosure is that we have used pretty much every last square inch of space in the car, so much so that the rear rows of subs are actually slightly indented into the rear wall. So to get an accurate measurement, Bec had to climb in and put a couple subs in place...Glad she's small!!!

Oh and to state the obvious, Bec wanted to let me know that mounting the subs in the roof is going to SUCK!!!

IMGP3485.jpg

IMGP3486.jpg

IMGP3487.jpg

Once again I skipped a few of the boring and messy bits (yeah routering MDF pretty much sucks ass). This was also one of my first real projects using the Rabbit bit for the router, and gotta say I love it! Built up a 25mm frame with a 10mm rebate in the back to house the LED strips and the plexiglass.

IMGP3492.jpg

IMGP3493.jpg

Back to reality and work tomorrow, but we will try to get a bit more accomplished before the weekend!

Cheers,

Scott

Archived