Phoenix Gold Australia's 12x 12" Elite's 24kw - 160.2dB @ 40Hz

Hi All,

OK first of all apologies for not posting anything overe the weekend, but hopefully when you see everything below you'll understand why we didn't have time...

So the last pictures we put up were from Wednesday night when we had the big storm. We admitted defeat that night around 2am then got back to work on Thursday night putting it all together and into the car and bolted the box half together and loaded up all the goodies we would need for the weekend.

Friday we worked all day at our normal jobs, then at 5:30pm we started on the Astra. Trav and I got started on finishing up all the bolts for the metal frames...I'm not sure WHY Trav has a hammer though?!?

IMGP3584.jpg

Mick and Dave got stuck into connecting two of the Ti1500.1's together. They removed an end cap from each amp and then bolted them together from underneath to form one BIG amp. This saved us some valuable space on the amp rack!

IMGP3582.jpg

Next up we started making all the jumper leads to connect up the Stinger SPV69 batteries.

IMGP3585.jpg

IMGP3589.jpg

IMGP3586.jpg

IMGP3590.jpg

IMGP3591.jpg

While the main battery rack was being wired up the two hidden batteries in the wheelwell also got installed:

IMGP3594.jpg

While that was going on we were unpacking and prepping the 18 Ti212d4's 12" subwoofers, they forced me to do the stupid pose, and as you can see I hated every moment of it!!!

IMGP3597.jpg

IMGP3600.jpg

While that was going on Fab and Brett were working on the vinyl work for the edge-lit plexiglass sign that would live at the back of the sub box:

IMGP3598.jpg

IMGP3599.jpg

IMGP3605.jpg

So basically this brings us up to about 2am Sunday morning. We had worked through from Friday, got a couple hours sleep Saturday monring then kept pushing through Sunday night.

Around this time most of the team had crashed out or bailed and I topped up on Coke (a Cola) and got back to work wiring. I was such a zombie that I never took any pictures I just kept working and working and working...

So around 7:30am Sunday morning I got the amplifers turned on and tested each pair of subs individually. In my sleep deprived state I did the best I could. We wired up 2 subs per amp with each sub having 2 voice coils, so a total of 36 voice coils. I quickly ran back and forthe testing each amp individually to make sure that the corresponding subs were working.

By this time Fab had woken up and Michael had arrived. It 'seemed' OK and so I wired up all the RCA's to all the amps and we gave it a test run.

DAMN!!! HOLY CRAP!!! OH MY GOD!!! and many other things were said...but then again we were all running on very little sleep.

At this point we decided that we would pack it all up and get on the road to the dB Drag event about 3hrs away.

Into the car and away we went to the show.

IMGP3653.jpg

IMGP3654.jpg

IMGP3654.jpg

IMGP3666.jpg

When we got to the show, that's when we noticed that we had 2 subs that had died :( It seems with my ultra careful wiring I got 1 voice coil out of phase which cooked the sub in the 3hr drive to the show, and once that sub let go it also took out the other sub wired to that amp. So for the show (and all the videos) we're running on 16 subs with 2 big passive radiators LOL!!!

Even with this problem the Astra is still a weapon!!!

Archived