New File Server Build

It's the fan for the CPU

Thats a serious fan - I really like it.....

Actually, that is a heatsink, it's not actually a fan. A fan just disperses air and "attempts" to move heat around in one direction. The job of the heatsink is to "take" the heat generated by the CPU and disperse it in any direction. My heatsink is slightly larger than the one pictured and has a fan that actually helps to remove some of that generated heat.

Regarding the build, it looks like total overkill for a file server. My file server is a "cube" server box I found on Kijiji. 15 TB of storage? That is insane. Why bother backing up your movies when you just watch them once (maybe twice). I personally don't find a purpose for having that much storage for movies, when you're only going to rewatch MAYBE 10 in a few years. I would just re-download them if need be.

The lights are overkill as well, who's looking at the file server? :P

My fileserver only has one fan, directed at my hard disks. Generally (or depending on where you located it) you want it to be quiet, so a passive solution might be best.

I'm not saying it's a bad build, it actually looks really great but for its purpose, I think it's overkill.

But Overkill is awesome!

The lights actually came with the fans that antec put in the case.

I made sure all disks have a fan on them.

I have has some data loss over the years and that is why there is so much space. I have two separate Raid 5 Volumes with all my important data backed up twice.

I ripped the movies to it for convenience. With the XBMC server\frontend. All my movies are on demand.

also... all fans on this server are turned all the way down... this thing is QUIET!

Now you make me want to build one to put in this little guy . . .

IMAG0147.jpg

I just started working again, so hopefully soon . . . .

It's the fan for the CPU

Thats a serious fan - I really like it.....

Actually, that is a heatsink, it's not actually a fan. A fan just disperses air and "attempts" to move heat around in one direction. The job of the heatsink is to "take" the heat generated by the CPU and disperse it in any direction. My heatsink is slightly larger than the one pictured and has a fan that actually helps to remove some of that generated heat.

Regarding the build, it looks like total overkill for a file server. My file server is a "cube" server box I found on Kijiji. 15 TB of storage? That is insane. Why bother backing up your movies when you just watch them once (maybe twice). I personally don't find a purpose for having that much storage for movies, when you're only going to rewatch MAYBE 10 in a few years. I would just re-download them if need be.

The lights are overkill as well, who's looking at the file server? :P

My fileserver only has one fan, directed at my hard disks. Generally (or depending on where you located it) you want it to be quiet, so a passive solution might be best.

I'm not saying it's a bad build, it actually looks really great but for its purpose, I think it's overkill.

But Overkill is awesome!

The lights actually came with the fans that antec put in the case.

I made sure all disks have a fan on them.

I have has some data loss over the years and that is why there is so much space. I have two separate Raid 5 Volumes with all my important data backed up twice.

I ripped the movies to it for convenience. With the XBMC server\frontend. All my movies are on demand.

also... all fans on this server are turned all the way down... this thing is QUIET!

Now you make me want to build one to put in this little guy . . .

IMAG0147.jpg

I just started working again, so hopefully soon . . . .

hehe... that is my next step...

I do have a bunch of Cisco stuff laying around, and I have a another server that is rack mount too.

I keep checking CL around here but either there are no racks or the ones that pop up are overpriced!