few question about components...

Hello

So, i have stock BMW system which consist of 1 tweeter, 2.5" mid? and 6.5 speaker in front doors. 1 2.5" mid? in back door and 6.5 in back panel. All of this is power by stock amplifier in the trunk.

Now, I added alpine tweeter and replaced stock 6.5 with alpine. (SPS 610c). I'm getting DD cs6.5 for front and moving alpine's to the back.

As of aftermarket amp, I have soundstream mc 140, which does 35 x 4 @ 4ohm. BUT, it doesn't have any kind of gain knobs on it.

Now questions:

Do i need to buy active crossover for amp?

What's the difference between 2 way and 3 way component system? which one is better?

Should i keep stock amplifier and add SS mc 140 to it to power alpine and DD?

Which wire do I use to get signal for SS amp?

thanks

Edited by LoudBimmer

The mc140 has 4gains one for ea ch of the amp on the bottom of the amp. and you would need a step down to go from hu-to-rca output. as for how you would wire the amp to your setup to run active you would need a crossover to do that. might hitup RAY and ask him for some input on this.

on bottom of the amp there is 2 switches, Stereo and mono for A and B channel. On top there are 4 gains, 2 for each channel, but I was told to keep them equal.

Thats right thay are on top-mybad- thats the gains for the amp and yes you need to set them all the same. i think you will need a 6ch amp 2run the setup that you have in your car.

later on I will take out Alpine and add another set of DD comp. So it's gonna be a total of 4 speakers, 4 tweeters 2 passive crossover. Stock will be coming out.

Also, SS amp will be replaced too for more power. :)

The stock amp is the xover for each speaker.

Except the tweets which have a simple 6db cap on them.

You will need xovers.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

The stock amp is the xover for each speaker.

Except the tweets which have a simple 6db cap on them.

You will need xovers.

I can get signal for Line out converter from any speaker wire going from amp?

Then, it's going to be LOC> xover > amplifier. And i can use stock wiring?

Also found this:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914

about 2 way and 3 way

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speakers/238195-difference-between-2-way-3-way-component-speaker-systems.html

Edited by LoudBimmer

You can hi low behind the deck.

Do not do it after the amp.

Thats after the xover

No bueno

You can fit a 4 but have to make a new grill, anc its gotta be shallow

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz