Sonic Electronix

Sound Deadening Questions

so i have been looking araound and doing research as I am interested in sound deadoning my jeep. I have read the "Sound Deadoner Showdown" and have decided to either go with the Second Skin Damplifier Pro (bulk pack, I believe 80 sf) or the second skin spectrum or sludge paint on deadeners. I have been told by a local Audio shop that the liquid spectrum and sludge are and easier install and have equal or better sound deadening characteristics. Have any of you messed with this stuff, if so how would you compare it to damplifier pro in terms of soudn deadoning. Anything helps guys.

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Head Unit: Alpine 9885 with full speed ipod connect and Sirius Satellite radio

Front Stage: Focal polyglass 165 V2 6 1/2"

Rear Fill: Focal Acess 165 CA1 6 1/2" coaxial's

Component Amp: JL 300/4

Subwoofer Amp: JL 1000/1v2

Subwoofer: JL 13W7 in JL spec ported box

Electrical: Ohio generators 200A alternator + optima yellowtop

For Sale: JL e1200, JL e2150, JL 12w3v2 in sealed box PM me if interested

Guest MegaloManiac

no, he is incorrect for the most part, but is correct to an extent.

The mat will be a better mass-loader than any liquid deadener. The liquid deadener were more for the small places that the mat simply cant reach. However with Second Skin, Ant(owner) designed the sludge spectrum to go over the damplifer(nonpro or pro).

There are several things to keep in mind for deadening:

- Wipe down panel, so the mat sticks to panel and not dirt :P

- temperature - make sure it is applied in a decent temperature environment, Second Skin has great adhesive(some say Raamat is better) where a heatgun is not required however the heat gun may help to make a more solid bond.

- If you are trying to eliminate unwanted sounds coming from lets say roadnoise. then you want to use different density materials to achieve filtering out certain frequencies. This is where the liquid & a foam comes in

- Apply the mat to panel: mat is designed for masslaoding the panel to make it heavier and to stop it from resonating/flexing.helps road noise some, but really brings out the mids stronger

- apply the liquid over the mat: not only this will make it more rigid it will keep the mat deadener from melting or falling off(godforbid): also let the liquid deadener dry/cure for 12hrs atleast before doing anything else like putting panel back on or go to next step.

- then to really help things out get some closed-cell foam and apply it over the liquid deadener, this will get rid of the higher frequencies better. Hence the reason why Second Skin calls their product "OverKill" :D :

* make sure you dont just do all this on the outer door panel do the inside of the doorpanel behind the mids where it counts the most, the Overkill will help tons for standing waves (backwave of speaker hits back, sounds like a thump) from the mids

so to sum it up different forms of deadening has their ups and down but you got use it for their sweetspot. dont subsitute Mat for the liquid simply because you think its the same for massloading. When in actuallaity it really is not, but it still can be used, but the mat is better than the liquid.

I hope that helps :)

Archived