Big air ride question i need to know this can anyone help? Meade?

first of all my questions go towards a certain kit (air ride technogies Arc4000L) but if u know the answers to these requarding my question in general just let me knowi was wondering when u go down the road with air struts and you say hit a hole or bump will the strut re adjust the air pressure within the strut to make it the better ride? im just wondering why everyone says there more comfortable ride and most kits never say if they rise and lower themselves when hitting the pot hole thats like half an inch or less...... i just didnt know if they adjusted themselves to the road when driving like a strut would or if they just hold the same air pressure..... id also like to know say if your driving about 5mph in a parking lot, lets say walmart, and then theres a speed bump and you can rise your car in 3 seconds...... can you rise the car to a different height so that you can clear the bump? or is it always on 1 ride height to where u cant move it like shocks?

with a normal air suspension set up, the air bags/air sturts do not automatically refill themselves. The reason that struts are "more comfortable" is because they are able to expand when going over a pot hole or whatever may be in or on the road. Air cylinders are not able to expand because it is metal/steel. the struts on other hand, have rubber air bags on them, rubber = flexing and expanding. The newer stuff from air ride technologies is able to level out your ride at the set ride or pressure height, so if one of your struts loses or leaks some air, the computer will automatically refill it, leveling out your ride. The kit you are looking at has some small ass valves, i think 1/4". The bigger the valves the faster the air pumps and dumps, the quicker you can adjust your ride.

As for the different ride heights over speed bumbs depends on how fast your switch finger is as well as how fast your system is. the quicker you switch the less air you allow into the strut, if you want to fill your struts up all the way and get to your max ride height you can sit your finger on the switch and let the strut completly fill. it all depends on how many how much control you want, you may want to only go front and back, or you may want to go front back side to side. I don't know to much about the new computerized leveling system, but with my air ride i was able to get my car pretty level just by seeing how much air pressure i have on the gauges. Although i did love to drive with the rear slammed on the floor, and the front in the sky. The looks i got from people were definently worthy of being a kodak moment. :^

if there is anything else i missed or am wrong about, hopefully some one can correct me. goodluck with everything!!

Nobody makes me bleed my own blood, NOBODY!!!

^^ Basically what he said.  The only good thing about that system is you dont have to think to make your ride level.  For the money involved, just buy some guages.  As for the speed of the struts, I run a 5 gal tank with 3/8 line and valves and I can go from slammed to full up in less than a second.

If there is anything else I can help with just let me know.  I do this stuff for a living. ^-^

The setup is pretty basic, all you need is tank, compressor, valves, air line, plumbing, contoller, and bags, struts or cylinders.

When you say you have struts, I am assuming you mean air struts.  Usually they arent interchangable, but if you have the clearance and are handy with a torch and a welder you can make anything work..  On cars with independent suspension I prefer to use strut bags.  For one you usually have less clearance issues, they bolt right up and give you a better ride compared to cylinders.  Sometime you can run a sleeve type bag because they are more narrow than the typical convoluted bag.

I have never put bags on that model Jetta so I cant tell you exactly, I'm sure I could find out though.

You look like you have a good start though, all you need is Air line, and bags.  I would probably get something made for your car though. The last thing you want to do is be riding down the road and pop a bag, it makes for a real sh!tty day.