Sundown Audio

Amp designs...what gives?

ericvincent

Guys,

I'm looking at amps again after a looooooooooong hiatus. I've been doing car audio for almost 18 years now, but I don't have any amps that are newer than circa 1998. The bottom line is that I understand loudspeaker design pretty well, but I'm not sure what to make of amplifiers.

I am in need of 6+ channels of amplification (or 7 if the price is right). I have ID ProMH's, Adire Koda 8's, CSS WR125's, Adire Brahma 12 Mk I, and an Adire Tempest Mk I or II. I'm really hoping to end up with the Ascendant mids for my front doors (as the Kodas aren't really made for high duties.

When looking for amps, I'm really more interested in high voltage than high current. My Brahma is D2, and I'd prefer to end up with around 1kW @ 4 ohm, but I don't need something that will do 12kW @ 1/4 ohm. The sub will be seeing music duty, not competition, and doesn't even need to be stable on the sub side below 4 ohm.

I'd like about 75-100w on the highs for my front speakers, and I'm happy with 25-50w on the CSS WRs in back bandpassed.

This stuff is easy enough to do...I can find old school amps that will do this fine. What I'm here to really find out, is 'are the new amps really better?' I know we're sold stuff as newer always being better, but often it just means more cheaply. I'm a big fan of GOOD DSP in the amps, like what the 07 Kicker SX amps offered, or the Zapco DCR.

I'm not made of money, so I prefer used equipment...but I don't want crap either. Are there really good amps out there that fly under the radar, and have DSP?

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading!

Eric

Missing my home since Soundillusions left. I used to be known as nismo all over the world.

Archived