Would this work?

Jim b

Hello, I've been reading up on some of the builds on this site and learning a lot, and so far ive been able to answer all of my questions by searching. Im familliar with simple passive front stages using crossovers and components, but this time I want to try an active 3 way. My question is would this work:

Midbasses: 2 of the focal 6M115 per door

Midranges: 1 Selenium 6W4P per door

Tweeters: 1 Crescendo Supertweeter per door

Now the tricky part, My Headunit has 3 rca outputs, front, rear and sub and ive always been curious as to how people use so many amps/speakers in their setups, and when y-splitters are appropriate.

Here is my thinking:

RCA's

From the front output on the headunit i would connect an rca, then 2 splitters which would go into all channels a 4 channel amp with crossovers i could use for my midRANGES and tweeters

The rear channel I'd use a single rca to connect this 2 channel amp that has an appropriate bandpass filter i could use with my midBASSES

then of course i would use the sub output on my mono amp

Speaker wires

i will use 2 of everyone's favorite selenium 6W4P Midranges, and somehow run the speaker wires to the back where the amps will be, and either connect the 2 together in parralell for 4 ohms on channel 1 (this is what i am worried wont work), or just use each on ch 1&2 separately for 8 ohms each and hope they are loud enough

Same idea with the supertweeters, but i am leaning more toward using channels 3&4 separately, and keeping the impeadence to 8 ohms so they dont sound too bright

for the 4 focal midbasses, i would link each pair in the door together in parralel for 4 ohms, then each back to the 2 channel amp and use the bandpass filter

from there i would use the filters on the amps and see which points work for me

Power, remote, grounds

i would take the existing 0 gau and run it to a distro block that would branch into (1) 0 gauge output and (2) 4 gauge outputs for the 4 and 2 chan. amps

each amp would share a grounding point,

and one further question, is it okay to have one remote lead from the headunit, and simply tap into and solder 2 more leads for the other two amps?

I just wanted to try something different for this build, and before i start some door panels i wanted to make sure this will work. As long as the amps have the right crossovers, i dont see a need for an external active crossover being used (correct me if im wrong) The major things i am worried about are: splitting the front signal from the h.u. so i can use it on my 4 channel amp for midrange and tweets, and wiring certain speakers together for more efficiency.

If anybody has a better, cheaper way of pulling off what i described, please let me know, and i hope its easy to understand what im trying to do. Great site and im sure some of you on here can help me! thanks

if your worried about money. find a amp that has a crossover able to cut off for your tweeters and variable slope.

yeah, i was planning on doing that so i could just use crossovers on the amp,

would it be okay to split one of the pre outs on the headunit so I could run enough amps for this setup?

i will use 2 of everyone's favorite selenium 6W4P Midranges, and somehow run the speaker wires to the back where the amps will be, and either connect the 2 together in parralell for 4 ohms on channel 1 (this is what i am worried wont work), or just use each on ch 1&2 separately for 8 ohms each and hope they are loud enough

They will receive the same power either way. And it *would* work like that, but do you really want left and right speakers playing from one channel? I'd say either one per channel or bump it up to two per channel

you could split it but what amp will you use for your tweets that can crossover that high?

it can be done but its not worth the trouble

i was thinking of either waiting till another refurbished sax100.4 shows up on db-r, or waiting to see if the new crescendo 4 channel will have a 10x button. not sure on what i will cross them at yet though,

They will receive the same power either way. And it *would* work like that, but do you really want left and right speakers playing from one channel? I'd say either one per channel or bump it up to two per channel

So what you're saying is that having left and right on one channel may sound bad most of the time? thats what i was worried about. And 2 per door like the midbasses is an option if i can fit them on if 2 arent loud enough

I'm honestly not experience enough to say, but I do know that some songs have nice effects with left/right channels, and I've also never seen a build in which somebody doesn't keep the two channels separate.

By the way, what car is this for?