I just bought a Cerwin Vega dual 2ohm 12" sub. I currently have a Jensen 70x2@4ohm and 300x1@4ohm bridgable. The guy from California Customs said to hook the negative from one coil to the pos from the other coil, and then with the other neg and pos posts run them to my amp bridged like i have. But wont this fry the amp (or even worse the sub, it was $100 for some that's not much but it is to me) if it's a 2 ohm sub (i thought 2 ohms bridged is 1 ohm)? I had the system playing and it's loud as hell now...i like it, eventually i'll get something harder but this is good for now. Any ideas? thanks!

Edited by letemrip32

I just bought a Cerwin Vega dual 2ohm 12" sub. I currently have a Jensen 70x2@4ohm and 300x1@4ohm bridgable. The guy from California Customs said to hook the negative from one coil to the pos from the other coil, and then with the other neg and pos posts run them to my amp bridged like i have. But wont this fry the amp (or even worse the sub, it was $100 for some that's not much but it is to me) if it's a 2 ohm sub (i thought 2 ohms bridged is 1 ohm)? I had the system playing and it's loud as hell now...i like it, eventually i'll get something harder but this is good for now. Any ideas? thanks!

http://IMG_20120220_151327.jpg

Edited by letemrip32

If you were to take the pos from one terminal and connect it to the neg of the other terminal and the run the open pos and neg to the amp, your sub would be wired in series making it 4 ohms.

Running the amp bridged would also be at 4 ohms. So you should be fine.

Pioneer AVH480

Zapco ST5XII amplifier

Stevens Audio 6.5" components (passive)

Onyx Subwoofer

Sky High OFC wiring

Ok thank you for the answer! i dont mean to sound dumb with it, but this is my first decent sub and i dont wanna eff it up. How would i be able to get more power outa this thing, if possible? and would wiring it in parallel (im assuming parallel is one coil neg to 2nd neg then to amp and positive to positive to amp) turn it to 1 ohm? i'm just curious for when i upgrade my amp and get another vega.

searched the net a lil and found my answer (who'da thunk it that research provides results haha) when wiring in series you wire one coil pos to one coil neg, then the other poles go to the amp, this doubles the ohms, but if you wire it in parallel pos to pos to amp and neg to neg to amp, this cuts the ohms in 1/2

Edited by letemrip32

If i buy another Vega, and i wire them to run in series then parallel at 2 ohms to another amp, will it just be 500watt (250rms combined) or would i possibly get more out of it? I know by running it in series i already cut down the watts even though it is bridged. So i was thinking if they're both in series then ran in parallel to the amp, i'd get more true RMS, but i just want to confirm.