Voice chat server

I found an old desktop lying around my house (I've got like 7 of them) and decided to make it useful. Stuck some RAM in there, found an ancient 40Gb IDE hard drive, fired it up and loaded Windows 7. I've repurposed this thing into a public voice chat server. Right now it uses both Mumble and Ventrilo (can't talk across platforms, just has both servers running). It's much better for Mumble, as there's no hard cap on users. Ventrilo hard-caps you at 8 unless you rent from one of their servers, but I keep it running anyway because some peeps like it.

It was initially intended for use for my SWTOR guild and for Battlefield 3 on PC, but stupid guildies decided they'd rather pay for a vent server than use a free, controlled one (I know, right?). So now it's open to you guys. I don't really care what you use it for. Just don't be idiots. The Mumble server is limited to 50 users right now mostly because I have no idea what kind of bandwidth this thing is gonna use with tons of people. We got 12 in there no issues and I know it'll support more, but I figured I'd cap it just for the hell of it.

Mumble: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

IP: 71.232.226.99

Port: 1000

Ventrilo: http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

IP: 71.232.226.99

Port: 3784

If there are any issues with this, please let me know. I live on Cape Cod so some of you West-Coast peeps may have higher ping. Sorry about that.

Enjoy!

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

Do i sense a smd vent server!!

Vent server may be tricky because it only holds 8. The Mumble server is soft-capped at 50 but if you guys get this thing rolling into something larger and my network will support it, I can raise that cap as high as it'll let me.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

Do i sense a smd vent server!!

Vent server may be tricky because it only holds 8. The Mumble server is soft-capped at 50 but if you guys get this thing rolling into something larger and my network will support it, I can raise that cap as high as it'll let me.

really...i remember using vent with like 25.

The way Ventrilo does licensing is stupid. You can make your own, free server but it'll only support up to 8 peeps. If you want more than that, you have to rent a server on a monthly/annual basis from somebody like TypeFrag.com. What I've got running is just a free server on my own hardware that I don't have to pay per month for, and I've opened it up to you guys.

If you haven't used Mumble yet, give it a shot. It's got much better voice quality than Vent with lower ping and less bandwidth usage. Oh, and it's free.

I would have hosted the server on my gaming rig but I don't have it on 24/7 (eats electricity and blue LEDs while I'm sleeping = no). Loaded this in a silent machine and I can leave it up all the time with no worries.

wtf is lolcats?

Just curious if anyone's tried this out or uses it at all. The Mumble server is much better than Vent because of the low ping. If anyone on the West Coast gets a chance to try this, please post back here and let me know if it works well and what it says the ping is.

wtf is lolcats?