Jaloosk & the 2001 Mitsu Eclipse Spyder

OK So I got this Spyder a couple of years ago. I initially installed a somewhat crappy system in it until I could afford something better. That time has finally come, after a lot of hard work and saving. I'll start this build log off with the history of the first system, then hopefully next week I'll have some more current updates.

The car:

P1000928.jpg

P1000930.jpg

WashWax1.jpg

WashWax2.jpg

WashWax3.jpg

WashWax5.jpg

The original "system" (in it when I bought it; notice how everything is nice and secure...

20100104-DSC02813.jpg

20100104-DSC02815.jpg

-----------------------------Start of build, March 2010----------------------------------

I've been a car audio hobbyist for the better part of my life, and because of that my first major project is completely replacing the sound system in the Spyder.

My goals are simple:

Loud & Clear.

Basically, I want to have enough headroom to be able to listen at healthy volumes on the highway with the top down. It's not going to be a flashy install; I want it to be fairly stealth for the most part. Oh, and I (hopefully) want to get a set of golf clubs in the trunk when it's all said and done too.

Now because of my family responsibilities, I'm on somewhat of a tight budget, so most of the gear I'm using has been "repurposed". (read: used) Because of that, some of the pieces aren't exactly pretty, but their sonic character has not been compromised, so I'll just need some lipstick & mascara to pretty it up. So to that end, let me introduce you to the equipment that's being installed:

Amplifiers:

Soundstream LW5.830, a 5-channel amplifier, which will be bridged; sending 280w RMS to the front two channels, and 270w to a sub channel. The sub channel will not be used. This amplifier will be powering the front speakers; two ID Horns, and two CDT 6.5" midbass drivers.

DSC02857.jpg

Sub Amp:

Phoenix Gold Xenon 1200.1; 1200w RMS into 1 4-ohm channel. This amp has a lot of cosmetic "inconsistencies", however works just fine. I will be mounting this in the trunk floor, without the housing, to show off the internals. Sorry for the crappy pic, the battery in my camera was dying.

DSC02859.jpg

Front Horns, and Front mid-bass drivers:

The front stage consists of Image Dynamics CD-1E horns, that will mount under the dash:

DSC02860.jpg

...and CDT midbass drivers, model ES-06:

DSC02856.jpg

The sub is on order, and is an SSA Icon 10" with dual-2-ohm voicecoils. It's in transit right now, and I hope to receive it Monday. I'll take a picture of it when it arrives.

Also got some wiring to hook everything up:

DSC02862.jpg

...and a Big-3 kit from Ken @ www.club3g.com:

DSC02861.jpg

My camera battery died after I installed the Big-3 kit, so I don't have a pic of that right now. I'll get one later when I install the new amp wiring.

So, the first thing I did was install the midbass drivers, since it's basically a drop-in. I peeled the panel off the driver door (piece of cake), and replaced the speaker. I was pleasantly surprised to find the previous owner had installed an Infinity Reference component set, but this is outta here anyway. I replaced the speaker wire he used with some nice 12ga, zip-tied it inside the door and mounted the speaker.

Here's the new driver in its new home:

DSC02864-1.jpg

DSC02865.jpg

I moved on to the next door, to find this:

DSC02866.jpg

:facepalm: Nothing like using duct tape to install a crossover.

Anyway, I yanked the speaker, installed new 12ga speaker wire, and secured the new driver. It looks the same as the other side. I secured the crossover with double-sided adhesive foam.

Here's a comparison shot of the new CDT driver next to the 'old' Infinity Reference driver:

DSC02868.jpg

Thank you Mitsubishi for the really deep doors! :D

Next steps: When my Second Skin Damplifier Pro gets here, I'll be beefing up the stock speaker door mount, deadening the outer skin and sealing the inner skin. This will do for now. :good: The trunk is missing the spare tire cover, so I'll have to create a new floor for that. Once the sub gets here, I'll be designing the enclosure, and hopefully getting that installed within the next month or so. [this was in March of 2010]

Progress will be in spurts; I don't have the time to work on it on a daily basis, so please be patient. :) Even with just the CDT's in there, the system sounds SOOO much better. Much more clarity and detail, and they're just running off of the Pioneer head unit I've got in there...(no pic, forgot :D will get it later)

Funny thing is, the system's not even installed yet, and I'm already considering some changes. I might replace the SoundStream with a JL amp, if I can find one in my price range, and the patch cables (which were free) will be replaced with a twisted-pair RF set. Also considering picking up an old-skool PPI 30-band EQ, and possibly replacing the head unit with something more flexible.

"Cheap, good or fast. You can only pick two out of three."

"Have money? Love story! No money? I'm sorry."

--------------------March 3, 2010------------------

In other news, look what I got this morning!!

SSA1.jpg

SSA2.jpg

SSA3.jpg

--------------------March 23, 2010---------------------

Update:

I've stripped the entire trunk; lining, spare, old ghetto-ass system right down to the metal in anticipation for my long-awaited Second Skin treatment. I can't go without a stereo though, so I threw in my 1200w PG amp and my old 12" Infinity sub in a Q-Logic box. Damn this amp hits hard! I love it.

So I decided to tint my front turns and reverse lights, since I had some down-time on Sunday, (and I'm still waiting for my Second Skin to start on the trunk).

I sanded with 800 first, wiped with a tack cloth, then applied four coats of Nite-Shades and let it cure overnight. The next day I wet-sanded the Nite-Shades with 1500, wiped again with a tack cloth then applied two coats of Crystal Clear. I haven't had time to use rubbing compound on the clear yet, but will in the next week or so.

This is my first time tinting lights; I think they came out pretty good... (sorry, car's dirty from all the rain and I haven't had a chance to wash it yet):

ShadedLights1.jpg

ShadedTurns1.jpg

ShadedReverse1.jpg

I've got about half a can of the VHT left; I think I'm going to do my 3rd brake light and then the front turns and tails on my Conversion van. :D

...and yes, my grass is turning GREEN in MARCH.

That is all, thanks for stopping by.

----------------------------March 30, 2010------------------------------

I was able to get some work done this weekend. :)

Got the trunk stripped bare:

2EmptyTrunk1.jpg

2EmpotyTrunk2.jpg

2EmptyTrunk3.jpg

Then I made a cardboard template; something that would fit through the trunk opening:

2CardboardTemplate1.jpg

I transferred the template to MDF, cut it out with a jigsaw, the rounded the edges with a file:

2MDFCut1.jpg

Test fit; fits perfectly!

2MDFIn1.jpg

2MDFIn2.jpg

This is going to be how the amps will sit:

2AmpPlacement1.jpg

I'm going to make a cut between the two amps and install a piano hinge so I can still get access to the spare tire underneath.

Work is progressing slowly, but steadlily progressing. I'm still waiting for my Second Skin order of Damplifier Pro, and when that gets here I'll be doing a liberal install of that in the trunk, the floors and especially the doors.

Also, I got a Megan Racing short shifter, and got that installed Friday too (sorry for the dirty car; it's getting a thorough scrubbing this weekend. :D) Just a bit concerned about the shift boot; it's about half-an-inch too short to meet the knob. I haven't searched for an answer on that yet, but the short shifter feels great.

2ShortShifter.jpg

That's it for now; hopefully I'll get some more work done this weekend!

-----------------------June 22, 2010---------------------

OK so I finally carved out a few hours from my ridiculous schedule to work on my system. Got the following done over the weekend:

1. New run of 4-gauge from battery to trunk

2. New RCA's from HU to trunk (two sets, Rockford Fosgate twisted-pair)

3. Ran speaker wire from trunk to doors

4. Two new ground wires on a new grounding point for the two amps

Hooked it all up, got some crazy alternator whine. Did the RCA-grounding trick (Pioneer FTL) but now the front amp won't play anything, and the sub amp keep going into protect. Gotta do some more troubleshooting. When the car was off, though, it sounded bloody insane, and I don't even have the horns in yet...

I gotta get this wiring problem fixed first though. It's pissin' me off. I've never had so many wiring-related issues / noise issues in any of my installs EVER.

(and before you ask, power wire ran down drivers' side, RCA's under passenger seat and speaker wires down right side)

Sorry, no pics...was lazy. (and it's not pretty right now...function before form...once it's working, then I'll pretty it up and take pix)

[EDIT] So I removed the RCA grounds, and the front amp is playing again (with the alternator whine) but the sub amp is still going into protect after a few seconds (with a huge pop). I hope I haven't blown the sub amp... :(

----------------------------February 28, 2011-----------------------------

Kinda forgot about this build log; here is where my baby sits now...

- Winter wheels on now

- Installed a Mr. Grille

- Installed the horns, but they need WAY more EQ than I currently have, so removed them until I can get on MS-8

- The PG amp took a shit, so I'm replacing it next week with a Kenwood 1000w digital

- The head unit was replaced with a Sony with Bluetooth ($200 off @ BestBuy :woot: )

- The alternator noise issue was resolved by matching the gains properly

- I have the panels for a new sub box, but that will wait until better weather

- I bought an alloy fuel door (to be installed once received)

- I bought a VIS spoiler (to be installed once received)

Need to work on the following this spring/summer:

- buy new summer tires

- sand down cancer & repaint

- finish sound system

- lower it (needs it badly)

- replace headlights

I think that's about it...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that's it for the "old" build log. I will be doing some work this weekend, hopefully; buying the material for a new low profile sub box tomorrow, and putting it together over the weekend.

My current plans for this daily driver are:

1. Rebuild sub box

2. Buy one or more "highs" amps, so I can move the big 'ol Soundstream to my van

3. Install some Eclipse GT side skirts (already on their way)

4. Install the rest of the Second Skin Damplifier Pro (got some on the trunk lid already)

5. Get the car repainted (it has bad paint cancer on the hood, and it's starting on the trunk)

6. Replace the infinity tweeters (they're blown)

7. Buy a JBL MS-8 and go active on my front stage (not going to use the horns anymore; they hang down too low)

8. Install a second battery in the trunk, and upgrade the 4AWG power to 0AWG, and float a ground from the battery to the trunk

9. Eibach pro-kit lowering springs with KYB AGX shocks

10. 5k HID kit into the aftermarket projectors

That's about it for now.

I forgot to mention; after the PG amp blew, I bought a Sundown SAX-1200d and installed that. The SSA is sitting in a prefab QLogic box with a 12" to 10" adapter ring on it. :rofl: but it takes up more than half my trunk, and I hate it.

Thanks; I'm thinking about buying three of those little SoundDigital 250w amps; two to run an active front stage, and the third to run some rear fill.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's some shots of my baby after taking a bath a couple of weeks ago...the last ones you'll see before she goes in for paint and GT skirts. ;)

20120321-IMG_4859.jpg

20120321-IMG_4861.jpg

20120321-IMG_4862.jpg

Paint cancer... :mecry:

20120321-IMG_4864.jpg

20120321-IMG_4865.jpg

20120321-IMG_4866.jpg

20120321-IMG_4867.jpg

This is the only angle where this spoiler looks weird...it doesn't follow the body lines from this perspective, but it's also only noticable when you're standing behind it. When driving behind it, it looks great. :yesway:

20120323-IMG_4870.jpg

Engine mounts are here! :woot:

20120323-IMG_4871.jpg

Plus, I bought myself a new "highs" amp for my mids and tweets. Going to be running my Hertz components active. Still waiting on the JBL MS-8 processor...should get that next week. :ndance:

20120323-IMG_4872.jpg

20120323-IMG_4873.jpg

20120323-IMG_4874.jpg

The weird things we uncover.

So I was installing my new high's amp, and I was having trouble setting the fucking gain on the right side of the car. (4-channel amp, but I have two channels bridged to each door for now until I get my processor). Whenever I would turn the gain up past maybe 1/8, the right side speakers would start pulsating like crazy, almost like they were partially grounding out. The system did this with the last amp too. I've replaced EVERYTHING in the car (having to do with audio) right down to the cables), except the crossovers and tweeters.

On a hunch, I grabbed the crossover from my new Hertz component set and swapped it out for the Infinity crossover that was installed. Fucking thing works. Gains are set properly, and the sound stage is so wide it sounds like the speakers are in either lane next to the car. Fucking :woot:!!!

I replaced the other crossover too (for good measure) then got the gains dialled in, the sub amp working, the sub in and balanced; shit sounds fucking amazing now. Just about brought a tear to my eye.

I forgot my camera at home today so sorry, no pics. :lol: Hopefully tomorrow if I remember my camera and playbook. :D

Archived