Help with 3000gt After market head unit install

I have a 91 3Kgt VR4 that has the factory Cassette/CD player in it (no shit, couldn't believe it myself) and it is fooqed up. My buddy gave me a pioneer DEH-P6600 for it so I ordered the mounting kit and harness adapters. I took the time to cut the old adapter off (came from a different car) and solder/heat shrink the new one to the radio's wires and went to drop it into the car. Taking out the old stuff was a breeze and I figured the install would be the same. I was fucking wrong! Son of a bish harness adapter I got from the webs was wrong.

There are three plugs on the back of the stock unit (well 4 if you count the data wire for the wheel controls). The only adapter kits I can find have two plugs. Does anyone know what the deal is? I looked around some 3kgt forums and most people are a bit dim when it comes to this.

I have done countless installs like this but I am stumped! Any help would be awesome!

Run all new wire all a radio needs is constant 12volt,ground,and ignition. O and a antenna adapter if needed.

If running a after market amp to power your door speakers. Get a wiring diagram of your amps speaker wire output and connect to speaker inputs of your new amp.

Its pretty simple just take your time and plan.

2009 bmw 5 series

Head Unit Stock

Amplifier-JL Audio JX 360/4

Processor- Audiocontrol LC6

I got the harness adapter in the mail and it fit! I ran out of time to solder it to the radio wiring but I have a 4 day coming up so we'll see. I have an SA10 in the garage that I was going to put in the wife's car (have a pair of SAv28's on the way when they ship) an I may do up a quick box to throw in there for a little bump!

Of course I am getting ahead of my self because I still have an extra plug from the stock harness but I think it's from the wheel controls.

I was looking into a wheel control adapter. Any experience with that? I saw one that uses an infrared doohicky that you mount to the dash that is programmable and essentially turns the wheel controls into a remote.

Edited by Airborne

• 2 weeks later...