Carpeting question, inside corners and rounded edges

Ok, so i checked the first 3 pages here and didn't see this.

I'm trying to carpet a cutout in a board. Just to simplify think of a 4'X4' board 1/2" thick with a hole 3'X2' in the middle. i want to carpet the board and wrap the carpet around the edges and behind a bit. I want to make sure no wood shows from the top.

Am i right in thinking that i just cut an "X" in the middle going to the corners but stopping about an inch from the actual corner to get the look i want?

I have had problems in the past where the carpet will not touch in the corners and i get a gap so i dont want that to happen.

One more thing, I may want to round the corners of the cutout. if i do that then what do i do to my carpet cuts.

I hope this is the right section.

i dont know if its the right section but i always stretch it as much as possible then cut the x in it but give it an inch to an inch and a half depending on how well it stretched cuz it will tear more as you wrap it, and as far as the rounded edges nothing changes but its easier to wrap that way imo

Sounds right, cut the X then flip the board over and pull, your glue needs to be very tacky at this point so it will stretch and stick, home depot stuff won't cut it.

Well, i have spray adhesive and staples, i think i can make it stay one way or another. I'll use both.