2007 Chevy Tahoe - Big JL Audio Build (IT'S DONE!!!!!!!!!)

Hey Guys,

Though I'd start a "Build Thread" for my big audio project in my Tahoe. This is going to be my first big audio build. I have done systems in past cars, just never gone quite this crazy. I work for an aftermarket shop that does a lot of car audio so its hard not to get sucked in :) This build is going to be an "all around system". Its not specific to SPL or SQ, but I hope it ends up sounds damn good and damn loud! My last system was a Digital Designs system in my M3 and it was loud for a trunk car, but looking to do something different on this one...

First thank you to my sponsors Serious Autosport (www.seriousautosport.com), JL Audio (www.JLAudio), Audio Control (www.audiocontrol.com) and Hushmat (www.hushmat.com).

This will be a very slow build as I will be doing this in my spare time after work and on Sundays, plus I am no master installer (I am a manager) so I will need the help of our installers for some of the custom parts and they are SLAMMED busy (< Not complaining :)). So bare with me, but enjoy the progress pictures as they come :)

Component List:

-Pioneer AVH-P4400BH

-JL Audio ZR 8" Midbass Woofers (1 in each door = 4 Total)

-JL Audio ZR 6.5" Component Woofer (1 in each door = 4 Total)

-JL Audio ZR 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter (1 in each door = 4 Total)

-JL Audio 13W7AE Subwoofers (2)

-JL Audio HD600/4 Amplifiers (2) (Powering 6.5" Component Sets)

-JL Audio HD600/4 Amplifiers (Bridged) (2) (Powering Midbass Woofers)

-JL Audio HD1200/1 Amplifers (2) (1 On Each Sub)

-Audio Control DQXS Digital Equalizer/Crossover

-Audio Control DDC (Digital Dash Control)

-Optima Yellow Top Batteries (2 Up Front)

-Shuriken BT120 Battery (1 In Back)

-DC Power XP300Amp Dual Alternator Kit

-Hushmat Sound Deadening Mat and Foam

-JL Audio Power Wire, Speaker Wire and Premium (Blue) RCA's.

The Truck:

ata_2779.jpg

ata_2784.jpg

Photos of Build:

10/8/2011: Progress so far has just been gutting the truck and laying down the Hushmat (Up to the back of the front seats so far... Next up is the roof!)

ata_4845.jpg

ata_4846.jpg

ata_4847.jpg

jlpic.jpg

2007 Chevy Tahoe

24" Black Slides/Nitto 420S Tires, McG 2/3 Drop, K&N Intake, Blacked Out Grille, Smoked Tail Lights, 6,000K HID Low's/Fog's, LED Reverse & License Plate Lights, 15% 3M Tint

Audio:

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH, JL Audio ZR6.5" Components (Front and Rear), JL Audio ZR 8" Midbass (All 4 Doors in .75cu enclosures), JL Audio 13W7AE Subwoofers (2), JL Audio HD600/4 Amplifiers (4), JL Audio HD1200/1 Amplifiers (2), Audio Control DQXS, Audio Control DDC, DC Power XP300 Dual Alternator Kit, Optima Yellowtop Batteries (2), Shruiken BT120 Battery, JL Audio Power Wire, Speaker Wire, Premium RCA's, Etc, and a CRAZY ASS CUSTOM INSTALL!

UBL Thread:

2007 Chevy Tahoe - Big JL Audio Build

2006 BMW M3 (800HP Turbo)(Sold)

Digital Designs Setup

Sponsored By: Serious Autosport

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got some work done on it yesterday...

My Goal For The Day (I accomplished all but mounting the Audio Control DDC):

ATA_4848.jpg

Running the wire for the camera:

ATA_4849.jpg

Reverse Trigger Tap:

ATA_4856.jpg

Finished Camera:

ATA_4863.jpg

JL Audio Premium RCA's Got Run To The Back:

ATA_4853.jpg

Headunit Installed (Trim piece is missing as I am redoing all the woodgrain in gloss black)

ATA_4865.jpg

JL Bass Knob Installed (Nice and Stealth)

ATA_4861.jpg

Plan is to take the headliner down and get the room sound deadened on my day off Wed. Updates then!

Regards,

Evan

2007 Chevy Tahoe

24" Black Slides/Nitto 420S Tires, McG 2/3 Drop, K&N Intake, Blacked Out Grille, Smoked Tail Lights, 6,000K HID Low's/Fog's, LED Reverse & License Plate Lights, 15% 3M Tint

Audio:

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH, JL Audio ZR6.5" Components (Front and Rear), JL Audio ZR 8" Midbass (All 4 Doors in .75cu enclosures), JL Audio 13W7AE Subwoofers (2), JL Audio HD600/4 Amplifiers (4), JL Audio HD1200/1 Amplifiers (2), Audio Control DQXS, Audio Control DDC, DC Power XP300 Dual Alternator Kit, Optima Yellowtop Batteries (2), Shruiken BT120 Battery, JL Audio Power Wire, Speaker Wire, Premium RCA's, Etc, and a CRAZY ASS CUSTOM INSTALL!

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

Was able to work on the truck for a few hours today. Took the headliner down and dropped it off at my interior shop to have it wrapped in Black Suede. &nbsp;Also caulked all of the roof braces to the roof (to keep them from vibrating when the roof flexes) and began applying Hushmat to the roof. &nbsp;I hope to finish the Hushmat tomorrow then add a layer of Hushmat Megafoam on top before the headliner comes back on Friday..

Here are a few pics:

My Friend Dan Holding Up The Headliner For Me&nbsp;

danheadliner.jpg

Headliner Out

roof.jpg

End Of Day Photo

ata_4901.jpg

Regards,

Evan

2007 Chevy Tahoe

Audio:

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

<p> </p>

<div>Worked on the truck this weekend.  Still nothing exciting, just more Hushmat!  Been having a problem with my A/C leaking (which I found out is common), I actually spent most of the day pulling the dash apart to try and solve the issue, but I did get some sound deadening down after...</div>

<div>Jamin' out to some music with our "Rolling Theater Golf Cart" (Usually has a projector on the back to display PS3 or movies on any flat wall...)</div>

<div>ata_4934.jpg</div>

<div>ata_4935.jpg</div>

<div>Seats and Console Out:</div>

<div>ata_4936.jpg</div>

<div>ata_4939.jpg</div>

<div>Dash Apart (YIKES!)</div>

<div>dash.jpg</div>

<div>Sound Deadening For The Day (Ultra Mat and some Megabond Foam as well):</div>

<div>ata_4940.jpg</div>

<div>My AudioControl DQXS and DDC did arrive as well!</div>

<div>aq.jpg</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Regards,</div>

<div>Evan</div>

2007 Chevy Tahoe

Audio:

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

Got a few hours to work on it today...

Finished the Hushmat on the roof and added Hushmat Megabond Foam (1/4") as well.

pic2.jpg

Applied Hushmat to the backside of the door skin

pic1.jpg

Ran JL Speaker Wire To The Rear Doors 2 16GA For Midrange and Tweeter and 1 12GA For Midbass

Nice and clean through the Molex Plug

pic3.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic4.jpg

Regards,

Evan

2007 Chevy Tahoe

Audio:

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

<p> </p>

<div>Wrapped all my trim in Black Gloss Vinyl.  Looks great and I can remove it anytime!  Also got my headliner installed along with some LED bulbs in the dome lights.</div>

<div> </div>

<div>dsc_4047.jpg</div>

<div>dsc_4053.jpg</div>

<div>dsc_4055.jpg</div>

<div> </div>

<div>Should start seeing some actual audio progress next week!  My 2nd of 3 shipments from JL Audio arrived yesterday so I have just about everything (Yes that large pile in one of my first posts was not even all of it)!</div>

<div>Evan</div>

2007 Chevy Tahoe

Audio:

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

Between being out at SEMA and just plain busy there hasn't been much progress till yesterday! Started the enclosures and nailed down a good plan for how everything is going to lay out (though my installer Tom loves to surprise me...)

Here are a few pics:

After sitting in the trunk for 2 hours one of my installers Tom started cutting wood:

DSC_4155.jpg

Enclosures Started:

DSC_4156.jpg

DSC_4158.jpg

Cutting More:

DSC_4159.jpg

Basic Enclosures done:

DSC_4162.jpg

On of my other installers surprised me and custom mounted the control for my Audio Control DQXS (Digital EQ) in my dash for me!

ddc.jpg

And finally, I ran all of the 1/0 Gauge from the 2nd battery in the front to the rear (where I will have a third battery):

0gauge.jpg

Hopefully get some more done this week...

Evan

2007 Chevy Tahoe

Audio:

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

Spend a couple more hours on it yesterday... I made all the 8" and 6.5" speaker rings while my installer Tom continued on the enclosures... Also finished up the 1/0 run up front with a JL ANL Fuse Block.

ATA_5591.jpg

rings.jpg

ATA_5592.jpg

Starting to look like something!

Evan

2007 Chevy Tahoe

Audio:

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

Here is a LITTLE progress. As I said its gonna be slow, but coming along!

prog.jpg

Evan

2007 Chevy Tahoe

Audio:

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

There has been some progress in the trunk, but I don't have any pics to share yet.... Battery Box for the 3rd battery is built, trim piece for drivers side wheel arch is built, all the plexi is order (Over $1500 worth!), etc.

However, one Midbass Enclosure is completed and ready for fiberglass before installation in the front doors of the truck. 8" ZR's going in these! We were actually able to get exactly .75cu out of each front door enclosure! Now its time to see if we can get .75cu out of the rear doors too since I have another set to put back there as well...

Passenger Side Completed:

psidemid.jpg

Driver Side being Built:

dsidemid.jpg

Regards,

Evan

2007 Chevy Tahoe

Audio:

UBL Thread:

Digital Designs Setup

Archived