Second Skin Audio

single cab box help

I have a 1991 dodge dakota single cab, therefor i have little to no room behind the seat.

I have 2 powerbass XL-10D subs, i got them for $20 and they work amazing hooked up to my home stereo.

I wanna build a box to put behind the seat to house the those 2 subs.

i found dimension online for a box:

outside dimensions:

13" high

3.5" top

7.75" bottom

and i have about 4' of length

so i designed the box in google sketch up and the internal dimensions end up being

11.5" high

2.25" top

5 15/16" bottom

again 4" long

i also went and drew the sub up in google sketch up and the mounting depth is too big/long.

so my question is, i have dynamat 6260 that was already installed when i picked the truck up, on the back wall, can i build a box without a back and securely fasten it to the back of the truck.

dont have a amp yet as i am on a tight budget, and have been looking around on craigslist for one.

so can i use the back of the truck as the back of the box?

Edited by codeym

found this on youtube, any idea on how this would sound, would rather keep the 2 subs that i have.

ehhh.. I don't really like it, but for low power I suppose it would work fine. Make sure its sealed good I didn't think fiberglass stuck that well to metal, maybe i'm wrong.

I would still just take a mold of the back wall and build the back wall out of fiberglass, easier removal, etc.

ok, i chopped another box up and made a box but it ended up fitting but the surround was touching the back of the seat.

dimensions of the box i built:

13" high

7.5" top

9" bottom

didnt measure the length though because it is down pouring outside

made a template with those dimensions and made a template of the sub also

found that i could build a box smaller than the one i built with these dimensions

13" high

5.25" top

7.25" bottom

4' long

found that with those dimensions the box is approximately 1.586 cubic feet

sealed box according to powerbass should be .65 cubic feet so would this be a better alternative

A sealed box will work, when space is tight it can be a good option.

The second sealed box you mention seems good, after displacements it will probably have closer to 1.2 cubic feet. Stuff the enclosure with poly-fill to help.