Sonic Electronix

I just installed a 400watt amp and a set of 6.5 comps in my girlfriends car. When the car is running i get a horrible humming/buzzing noise from the 6.5's. When not running just clean sound. Already changed rca's, moved ground. What else could it be? What can i do to fix it? The car does have a factory amp so could that have something to do with it?

Edited by qcbangin

majority of the time it's just that the RCA cables are run to close to power wire. Try moving them so they don't go near any power and see if that helps

(unless that was what you ment by changed RCA's)

Honda Accord SirT + Mad sounds = Awesomeness

VTEC go BRAAAAAPPPP :P

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141261-99-accord-sirt-sq-build/

Alright well i never done the big 3 so i see in my vision my truck on fire...

on the issue of the rcas being too close to power, it can't be. i would have thought that, too except my power wire is ran down one side of the car and the rcas down the other. but thanks anyway.

and i'll look up how to ground the rcas.

one more thing i wanted to add, is that when the car is running, the car itself kind of has a humming noise. not sure what it is. the car is a 91 lincoln town car, if anyone else on here has one. maybe they could let me know if there's does the same thing or not. when i get a chance, i'll try to take a short vid of the sound the car itself makes while running.

Are you running an external amp for the 6.5's or just using the wires from the factory amp? I ran my 6.5's in my malibu using the factory amp and had a weird whine when i turned on the car, then switched over to external aftermarket amp and problem was gone, not sure of the reason it just did. I would just leave the factory amp alone and run an external just my $.02.

Under Construction

2011 Malibu 1LT

12k DDM Tuning HID's 55W

Soundstream 6.5 components(front)

Inffinitty Kappa 6x9's (rear)

i am running them off an external amp. i am running a 0gauge from front to back under the car down the frame, and rcas are running under carpet down the drivers side. when i thought the rcas were bad, i just plugged the new set of rcas into the radio and directly to the amp(not under the carpet or anything. if i could find the correct wiring harness for the car, i would run the 6.5s off the factory amp just to see if it still had the whine with the factory amp. but, i can't find anywhere that sells the correct one. i looked on ebay, but they all say it's not the correct harness for vehicles with "premium sound systems". i'm at a loss as to what is causing this.

What deck do you have? If its a pioneer, it could be that deck as its a common problem with them having the "pico" fuse blow inside the deck.

1983 Bmw 320i 5 speed 251000 miles on it

Sundown SA-12d2

Big 3

Optima 75-25

Jensen hlx600 150x4 amp

Hifonics BRZ-1200.1D for sub in a 1.7ft^3 ~33hz ported box

Pioneer USB stereo

Bass knob integrated into old fading switch (Sneaky)

Lowered on H&R sport springs with bilstein sport shocks (2" drop and handles like a dream)

Leave him be. He's just talking shit and laying on his bathroom floor listening to Dashboard Confessional. Let nature take it's course and pump this chick in the butt. Let her know who's boss.

it CAN be changed, but you need some serious skill to do it.

a lot of people just wrap a piece of long bare copper wire (like speaker wire) around the outside of the rca's on the headunit itself and screw both ends of wire to a screw on the back of the headunit.

theres a picture floating around that explains it perfect but i dont know where it is.