Sonic Electronix

Ok so I was planning on getting 2 Sa-8 v.2's here in a week, and I plan on installing them inverted (motor structure visible, cone inside box...) and I'm not here to ask the same question the 500 other people have asked on google, which is does it make it louder. No my question is, I also read someone say that theirs sounded like shit, ok, there's gotta be something wrong with install. Someone responded with reversing the polarity. I have never heard that before, nor have I really looked into inverted much, especially since now im running a 18 in a ext. cab daily driving s-10 lol. So my question being does installing inverted like that, need reversed polarity? That totally threw me off.

You can reverse the polarity if it doesn't blend well with your front stage. However, outside of noise from VC venting, you shouldn't have a real issue here.

Reversing polarity never made any single speaker or sub sound like shit. I would discredit any further advice from said individual.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

1) you dont reverse the polarity if both subs are facing the same direction.

2) advantage of inverted is slightly lower tuning (if you want it) because subs dont take up any space inside the box. and better sub cooling

Well, still consider that the venting of the voice coil and spiders can sometimes whistle or chuff. You should build a temp box and see how it sounds. Some subs sound fine inverted.

100_2531.jpg

This is my office sub, got it running iso with one inverted and sandwiched with another sub. Sounds phenomenal for a pair of 6.5s. It just depends on the subs.

2007 Pacifica

1) you dont reverse the polarity if both subs are facing the same direction.

2) advantage of inverted is slightly lower tuning (if you want it) because subs dont take up any space inside the box. and better sub cooling

he still may need to reverse for blending with the midbass. Might not need to either but since the sub is facing the opposite direction (away from the listening space) it will technically be out of phase. He may notice this more since the subs are in the cabin. In my trunk it blends better out of phase.

and you should always take into consideration displacement when building a sub enclosure. Sometimes more enclosure volume is a drawback.

Edited by srp365

2007 Pacifica