Second Skin Audio

Need help modifying box

X2 on the external port.

You can also invert the sub to give some extra space inside the box.

x2 on inverting. it looks cooler and it'll give it a little bit more room to breathe. just make sure you line it up in the hole really well or else the surround will rub against the wood

You can't just add the diameters together. If anything you'd add the AREAS together, but that'd only really work if the port lengths are the same length. Isn't the other one just a hole in the wood?

If you want a temporary solution until you can build a new box, I'd start with covering up that hole. The woofer displacement is more likely closer to .1. The wood thickness is probably 5/8 (.625") or less. So just by covering the hole, and using the single 3" aero at 4.5" long, you would get a tuning of about 40hz (if my values are correct). You still won't have enough port area or volume, but I'd think it would sound a lot better.

If you wanted to make your own slot port (don't know how you would even do that). I'm not sure, but I'm thinking like 15 sqin of port 17 inches long is the best you can do with that box. And it'd have to be coming out the side, so that it can be long enough. Also, if you can do 2 or more common port walls, that's even better.

The other one used to be a port, until i removed it to put in another box.

If i do the slot port it would have 3 common port walls i think, the back wall, the top and the bottom. So that should be alright?

i'd just use some PVC piping from your local hardware store. something thats the same size as that hole in the front of the box. i'd make it all external too, meaning that the port doesn't go inside the box whatsoever, it all sticks out. just to try to spare some room for that choked to fucking hell sub.

like this

Not sure where would sell anything like that here, but i will have a look tomorow to see if i can find anything like that, doubt it though.

X2 on the external port.

You can also invert the sub to give some extra space inside the box.

This was something i've been thinking about since i made the topic. When i had the 12" in the box i found that inverting it made it sound alot better. But when i put this 15" in i put it the normal way in, so yeah i may just invert it then. Although when inverting it do you swap the + and - around on the sub terminals? So that as its the other way around it still moves "outwards" when it needs to? As thats what i did with my 12" but i was never too sure.

So i decided to just man up, take your advice and build a new box. Sold my old sub so i could buy the wood, and just found everything else i needed in my shed.

It was my first box id ever made so there were a few edges and parts that didnt line up quite right, so i just fillered them like a bitch!!

Just under 4 cubic foot, tuned to around 31/33hz. Sounds so so good now! So happy i built the new box. Although i've noticed, everyday music theres a little bit of bass it doesnt seem to play, like lets say theres a song where the bass slowly drops, it only seems to play the relatively low bass well. Is this due to my box being tuned so low?

Couple of pics.

img0574aw.jpg

Takes up my whole bloody boot pretty much!!

img0576r.jpg

Yeah i just checked, it dies off not too long after that.

What should i have tuned at to be good for everyday music, whilst still being able to play a bit of lowish music.