'79 El Camino - DD SS1a is in

gotta give some love for the Elcamino. always have been a huge fan of those "things".. truck or car who cares theyre badass and thats all that matters. on another note awesome craftsmanship on the enclosures. i have only begun to understand what and why a t-line is so tuned in for an education

In New York state, they are categorized as "Light Trucks", & can therefore be registered as commercial vehicles ... as they do have room for a payload.

It's similar in Florida; they're considered pickups/light duty trucks. Technically speaking, they are trucks.

Today's update is just words. Got the box in and everything all hooked up this afternoon and it's absolutely silly. It plays the 26 Hz notes in the decaffed "Itchin'" like they're nothing and does so with some strength. I'll have to get a video done tomorrow.

'79 El Camino

Skar VVX-10 in a t-line tuned to 26 Hz

Build log: Here

Decided not to do a video today with all the little crap I was busy doing throughout the afternoon. Will definitely do a video tomorrow and I'll also take requests; either post or pm the song/artist/version and I'll do my best to get it in the video.

Now for pics.

I cut it damn close with the seat clearances; this is with the passenger seat all the way back and the driver seat one notch further back than I normally have it:

DSC01577_zps63a33578.jpg

DSC01581_zps5e9830b0.jpg

DSC01578_zps5f7a22af.jpg

Not yet sure what I'm gonna do about the coaxials yet, but I'll think of something.

As always, thanks for looking and post up/pm song requests please.

- Dion

'79 El Camino

• 4 weeks later...

Last night, I put the truck on the meter for the first time and pulled a 133.5 at 27 Hz (on music) sealed on the windshield. Over the past week, I've been slowly working on an amp rack since I picked up a Cadence ZRS C9 for mids and highs. Haven't got pictures of progress since it wasn't all that exciting, but here is how it is before I got the sides of the lower part done.

DSC01588_zpsbeb04d0e.jpg

DSC01589_zpsc7205e21.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking.

'79 El Camino

• 1 month later...

I've been pretty caught up in school lately but I've been on spring break this week and got to work on the truck some.

I had been working on the amp rack but I wanted to strengthen and finish the t-line where I could before I moved on so the seats came out and the box soon after:

DSC01647_zps3442c4b5.jpg

I didn't take many pictures while I did most of the fiberglass work on the box, most of which was to seal the edges of the box that would absorb moisture.

DSC01666_zps10db4aa2.jpg

DSC01676_zps9b3563ff.jpg

DSC01670_zpsdc38e22d.jpg

DSC01668_zps0cb53d8f.jpg

DSC01675_zps96555321.jpg

Then I took the carpet out of the truck and figured out how things were going to be wired:

DSC01672_zps045e8dc3.jpg

'79 El Camino

Made a couple videos today; one is a 18 Hz tone and the other is white clouds/nuvole bianche.

I hate to be that guy, but the audio/video capture on the Sony DSC-H2 sucks for low frequencies.

'79 El Camino

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a local meet last night and metered again, got a 134.9 sealed on the windshield. Probably would've had the tenth if I didn't give someone a jump when I was leaving school earlier.

Went to charge the battery this morning and forgot to flip the switch to 2 Amp trickle from 40 Amp charge so now my interior smells like magic smoke. Completely my fault, the amp was great.

DSC01694_zpsf2f3249d.jpg

But I suppose it happened for a reason. Got the Cadence ZRS C9 4 channel installed, was for the T3 components but for now it's going to be powering the 10.

Need a few 8 ga ring terminals so I can run both coils bridged on the C9; it'll be getting a little more power than before if the amp does what it's rated for. Until I get the terminals, I figured I'd see how the sq side of the build could be; one coil is shorted and the other is bridged on the rear channels of the C9. The output seems incredibly flat but lacks volume, need to get a DD1 on the amp.

DSC01695_zpsf6c7db39.jpg

'79 El Camino

Nice build wish i had room for a t line. Dont they love low power low cone area

Thanks. I don't have much room but I was able to fit it; really depends on the amount of room you have and the speaker you're using.

Cone area is almost equivalent to port area in a t-line; the effective piston area (Sd) of the woofer is what you use for the port area and the length of the line is deduced from the Fs of the speaker (1/4 wavelength of Fs frequency). That being said, cone area will affect output and air displacement and lower power generally gives a flatter response curve but sacrifices output.

'79 El Camino

Update time.

So I've been playing with some ideas for the next build and I believe I've decided what I'm going to do. Unfortunately, this one is going to take a bit more time to accomplish since there will be a decent amount of prep on the bed (ie. fixing the missing bed support over the rear axle and other metal work) as well as the fact that I need to track down a topper/shell for the truck. After those happen is when it's going to get real.

The current plan is 4 12"s walled in a transmission line and of course it'll be a blowthrough. I've been trying to find low Q subwoofers and haven't found much that stood out to me yet other than the MMATS P series. Until I can afford to buy woofers in that price range, I plan on using some tame Dayton audio woofers from PE (Dayton Audio SD315A-88 12" DVC Subwoofer 295-488). I've got no idea when any of this will be able to happen, but it will indeed happen unless extenuating circumstances interfere.

As for the current build, I'm getting some 8 gauge terminals in tomorrow so I'll be able to wire the individual coils to their own bridged channels on the amp since it can run channels 1/2 as slaves of 3/4. I also have to do some work to the amp rack since the RE amp is no longer able to be used and I'm sure I'll find other things that need attention as I work on that such as finish and similar things.

If you read this entire update, I applaud you and appreciate you spending the time to do so. Thanks for looking and have a great day.

'79 El Camino

Archived