Sundown Audio

Bad Amp?

Scanyland

Haven't really posted here before but I am not new to the whole car audio thing. I have come across a problem I need some help with. I started about a month when I moved my system to a different car I blew my inline 80A fuse. I started by checking and redoing my ground and then installed another 80A fuse and that blew about a day later. I then realized I didn't upgrade my fuse when I got a more powerful amp (the old amp was around 400 watts rms and the new one is 1200 watts rms. So I went and installed a 200A fuse and when I hooked everything back up I got smoke from one of my two subs. Isn't a huge bummer since I wanted to get new ones any way. I pulled the bad sub out and then tested the one good sub and that worked just fine. I only tested for about 30 seconds. Now I wanted to know if it is possible for a bad sub to draw too much current and in turn cause the inline fuse to blow or is the amp to blame. I want to make sure before I get two new subs and have them go bad because of a bad amp.

The equipment I was running was 2 Alpine Type R's (SWR-1224D) and a MTX JH2400 amp.

Archived