Can I bitch for a min about the internet, local shops, and wire???

It was in the evening, and trying to get over to a specialty shop wasn't happening. I used to work for a company called American Terminal Supply a long time ago, and we sold wire which was made in the USA. In fact, I still have a TON of 8ga power cable from Global Sound Int. which purchased their wire from the same company we did. (I'm sure all of this has changed, and if they are still selling wire any more, it is imported, and who knows of what quality) My local car audio wholesaler doesn't carry any wire or amp kits that worth a damn. Their best kit id a CCA Street Wires kit. That being said, I've been doing most of my business with KnuKonceptz. Believe it or not, Bill used to buy product from me at ATS way back when he was with American Bass. One thing I can say about the Knu products, is that I never have to worry about getting a good quality product. There higher end power, speaker, and rca cables are very nice. I've never had a problem. Pricing is not the cheapest, but I feel is very fair for what they are selling. Also, whenever I place an order, it shows up very fast. Seems like most orders are shipped out the same day or next. So as long as I'm not in a huge hurry, waiting is never more than a couple days. That being said, I think I need to put together another stock ordered so I don't have to bitch about this whole thing again lol.

It is nice to see the support from the online brands likes SSA, Fi, Sundown, etc. At least the aren't just some label which finding anyone responsible for it is next to impossible. It would be nice to actually get to see and feel something in person before buying though...

I agree the customer and slaes/installer would like to see, feel, hear the product so you know what you are dealing with. And it is true people will buy whats in stock NOW and rather not wait. I hope brick and mortar come back it was so much fun working in stereo shops.

With this topic, I decided to walk out side and take a couple of pictures..

This first picture is of a couple pieces of 4ga wire that I had sitting here...

2012-06-13223019.jpg

Next picture is some random 8ga wire...btw, one of these actually says "o2 Free CCA" and, the paired blue wire all the way on the right side is 10ga Knu Kord speaker wire. Just for comparison.

2012-06-13222908.jpg

And here is some 16ga wire.. .The last one on the right (a little spaced away) actually claims it is 14ga...

2012-06-13230415-1.jpg

And finally some 12ga speaker wire...

2012-06-13225730-1.jpg

Wouldn't mind seeing some other peoples wire if interested...

-= J-dUb =-

....no 12 step program can cure my car audio addiction...

To OP... Ass as it makes me... You ran out due to bad planning...can't be mad at Wal-Mart for that.. Its Wal-Mart, not Custom Sounds or any other chain stereo shop. No disrespect intended whatsoever, just the reality in my opinion.

I know it is 100% my fault. It just sucks that you can't get copper wire from a normal store anymore... That's all I'm saying.

-= J-dUb =-

This is a problem not just in this industry but I'd say almost all products. It is easy to buy something cheap today, however it is difficult to find something of quality, Our society has become a throw away one and people buy a new "cheap" item rather than spend a decent chunk on a great product. My case in point is tools, and maybe appliances too. My dad has power tools that are 20 years old that work great. Have you had any drills or saws last that long. Its hard to even find a product like that if you want it anymore and are willing to pay for it.

On a side note I totally agree on the wire being incredibly inconsistent. I had ordered some 10 gauge dblink or some shit a couple years back because it was cheap. I got it and was like wtf? The outside of the insulation might have been 10 ga. It looked like maybe a decent 14ga. I was pretty pissed and learned a lesson from that. On ofc vs. cca wire though I think the problem is the general public is not educated on this. I had no idea there was a difference before browsing this forum and I have had stereos for the last 13 years. I couldnt tell you if my 1/0 is cca or ofc? I got welding wire at the time because it was affordable.

This is a problem not just in this industry but I'd say almost all products. It is easy to buy something cheap today, however it is difficult to find something of quality, Our society has become a throw away one and people buy a new "cheap" item rather than spend a decent chunk on a great product. My case in point is tools, and maybe appliances too. My dad has power tools that are 20 years old that work great. Have you had any drills or saws last that long. Its hard to even find a product like that if you want it anymore and are willing to pay for it.

On a side note I totally agree on the wire being incredibly inconsistent. I had ordered some 10 gauge dblink or some shit a couple years back because it was cheap. I got it and was like wtf? The outside of the insulation might have been 10 ga. It looked like maybe a decent 14ga. I was pretty pissed and learned a lesson from that. On ofc vs. cca wire though I think the problem is the general public is not educated on this. I had no idea there was a difference before browsing this forum and I have had stereos for the last 13 years. I couldnt tell you if my 1/0 is cca or ofc? I got welding wire at the time because it was affordable.

I would say your welding cable is OFC. The easiest way to tell is by weight, and cross section. If you cut the wire and look at it, CCA is going to have a copper color to it on the outside of each strand, but the center of each strand is going to be bright like aluminum. OFC is going to either be copper all the way through, or tinned copper which will be silverish/bright on the outside of each strand, and copper color in the middle.

Also, 1' of OFC weights about 2x that of 1' cca in the same gauge wire.

-= J-dUb =-

It really is sad how cheap people have become when it comes to things like wire, and when your dealing with power wire its even worse. Companies claim its 4g, when its actually like 8g in a 4g coating. I could tell them "that wire is crap, you need this better wire for that amp" until they see the prices. Whats even worse is that its $20 more to get some real 4g wire.

brother, you cant buy shit from Wal-Mart, at Wal-Mart anymore.. the way of the world, unfortunately

If Morgan Freeman narrated a story on how great AIDS is, I would be captivated and tempted to contract it myself. His voice just fills my soul with warm fuzzies and puppy tears.

He has NO idea and may have a touch of autism to be honest.

Is this guy real or is he joking? i actually mistook him for a lesbian in that demo video

Wanted to mess around with a box for the garage. Was thinking 4 6x9 in 4 cube at like 30 hz...

These are the things that make me lol

This is where I am glad I have firefold about 10 minutes from me, they carry everything you need as far as home theater. So speaker wire is no prob, hdmi, coax, anything. But if you dont have that luxury it hurts. Ohh and as far as Best Buy all stores should carry the metra wire, not the greatest but its ofc. Just checked shows available in all Detroit MI stores.

Edited by 05 obs

This is where I am glad I have firefold about 10 minutes from me, they carry everything you need as far as home theater. So speaker wire is no prob, hdmi, coax, anything. But if you dont have that luxury it hurts. Ohh and as far as Best Buy all stores should carry the metra wire, not the greatest but its ofc. Just checked shows available in all Detroit MI stores.

Isnt Metra's wire called Tsunami?