Acess hatch for a ground on a Second Gen Explorer?

I am trying to figure out if there is a access hatch on a 2nd generation Ford Explorer so that I can run my 4 Gauge ground through it and connect it to the frame. Something by the rear behind the 2nd row seating would be best, I really don't want to run a power and a ground from the battery, I also don't just want to ground to the body, and I really don't want to cut or drill a hole to run the wire through. So has anybody with a 2nd gen Explorer know if there is some access hatch or anything I can run this one wire to?

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

In the cargo area on my 98 there are hooks with bolts in them in/under the carpet. Just take the hook out, sand the paint away and bolt the ring terminals down with it.

Also, Idk if you have the spring loaded flap thing behind the second row seats, but the bolts for that go into a good spot for a ground.

EDIT: I can take pics tomorrow if you need.

Edited by aN-i-No

In the cargo area on my 98 there are hooks with bolts in them in/under the carpet. Just take the hook out, sand the paint away and bolt the ring terminals down with it.

Also, Idk if you have the spring loaded flap thing behind the second row seats, but the bolts for that go into a good spot for a ground.

I was already thinking about those spots on the truck, but I want to go directly to the actual frame on the truck. I want to have a solid ground that won't be in the way.

I was already thinking about those spots on the truck, but I want to go directly to the actual frame on the truck. I want to have a solid ground that won't be in the way.

Ah ok. I don't know of any spot that even 4 gauge would fit through. I have used both of the above grounds with success though. You could always drill a hole and use a grommet like http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46313_Stinger-PG34.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle&rkg_attid=457374615&zmam=75672847&zmas=1&zmac=1&zmap=46313 that.

Ah ok. I don't know of any spot that even 4 gauge would fit through. I have used both of the above grounds with success though. You could always drill a hole and use a grommet like http://www.sonicelec...ac=1&zmap=46313 that.

I didn't know a grommet like that existed. It seems simple, but to be honest drilling a hole in my floor always freaks me out, it just leaves a spot for water, and other stuff to go it, that is why it is pretty much my last option. I appreciate the ideas, I checked out Sonic and they even have a 4 gauge one. I might do that but still searching for something with less hole drilling.

Ah ok. I don't know of any spot that even 4 gauge would fit through. I have used both of the above grounds with success though. You could always drill a hole and use a grommet like http://www.sonicelec...ac=1&zmap=46313 that.

I didn't know a grommet like that existed. It seems simple, but to be honest drilling a hole in my floor always freaks me out, it just leaves a spot for water, and other stuff to go it, that is why it is pretty much my last option. I appreciate the ideas, I checked out Sonic and they even have a 4 gauge one. I might do that but still searching for something with less hole drilling.

Bring some extra drill bits and lots of patience. It will take time.

Bring some extra drill bits and lots of patience. It will take time.

Sounds like you know this from experience, It really can't be that hard to drill though the steel of a car. I mean maybe the firewall, but the floor?

Pilot drill your way to the required size.

Does the grommet not tell you what size bit to use, or does not using such a large drill bit right away help with not eating up the bits?

Sounds like you know this from experience, It really can't be that hard to drill though the steel of a car. I mean maybe the firewall, but the floor?

Wellllll I don't have a step bit/unibit so I tried with the hole saw first and failed miserably. Then I did like suggested above and started smaller and just got a little bigger each time.

Basically...don't just grab the 1" drill bit and try to go to town.

Does the grommet not tell you what size bit to use, or does not using such a large drill bit right away help with not eating up the bits?

Unless you find a way to get a drill press in your Ex, a bigger bit will just slide around and make you angry.

Edited by aN-i-No