Acess hatch for a ground on a Second Gen Explorer?

Sounds like you know this from experience, It really can't be that hard to drill though the steel of a car. I mean maybe the firewall, but the floor?

Wellllll I don't have a step bit/unibit so I tried with the hole saw first and failed miserably. Then I did like suggested above and started smaller and just got a little bigger each time.

Basically...don't just grab the 1" drill bit and try to go to town.

Does the grommet not tell you what size bit to use, or does not using such a large drill bit right away help with not eating up the bits?

Unless you find a way to get a drill press in your Ex, a bigger bit will just slide around and make you angry.

ok, that make sense, thanks for the tip. I hate those hole saws anyway, my dad had a very bad experience with one once. I am glad I asked here, instead of somewhere else, or my local shop, I for sure would not of gotten this good advice.

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD

So far with the Ford/JBL Stock Stereo system, Alpine System coming soon.

Sounds like you know this from experience, It really can't be that hard to drill though the steel of a car. I mean maybe the firewall, but the floor?

Wellllll I don't have a step bit/unibit so I tried with the hole saw first and failed miserably. Then I did like suggested above and started smaller and just got a little bigger each time.

Does the grommet not tell you what size bit to use, or does not using such a large drill bit right away help with not eating up the bits?

Unless you find a way to get a drill press in your Ex, a bigger bit will just slide around and make you angry.

ok, that make sense, thanks for the tip. I hate those hole saws anyway, my dad had a very bad experience with one once. I am glad I asked here, instead of somewhere else, or my local shop, I for sure would not of gotten this good advice.

Hole saws are AWESOME for wood. I have a big ol one that is adjustable and makes perfect circles. But...they suck ass for cutting through metal. Just take your time.

Oh and NP. I like to help people with the same car as me. They're very sound system-friendly lol.

Hole saws are AWESOME for wood. I have a big ol one that is adjustable and makes perfect circles. But...they suck ass for cutting through metal. Just take your time.

Oh and NP. I like to help people with the same car as me. They're very sound system-friendly lol.

I get the death grip on the saw whenever I use one. Still hate them, but I do agree they work well.

For sure thanks. I was at a loss. It is also good to hear. because I got a lot to put it, just want to do everything at once, so I get the full effect instead of half. The wait is killing me.

What are the specs on you Explorer?

Mine is a 1996 Eddie Bauer, 4 door AWD, with the 5.0L V8, got 160,XXX miles. I love mine.

I get the death grip on the saw whenever I use one. Still hate them, but I do agree they work well.

For sure thanks. I was at a loss. It is also good to hear. because I got a lot to put it, just want to do everything at once, so I get the full effect instead of half. The wait is killing me.

Mine is a 1996 Eddie Bauer, 4 door AWD, with the 5.0L V8, got 160,XXX miles. I love mine.

98 XLT, 4.0 SOHC 2wd with only 126,XXX. Yeah I got the puny version lol. I love it though, it's been through hell and sat a lot but it goes and goes and goes lol. I don't think I'll ever find a SUV with the visibility and comfort that the Ex has. Every other truck I've driven seems like they designed it for you not to be able to see anything out of.

The SOHC is a BITCH to work on though. If it ever goes out I'm finding a 4.6 for the cheap.

Edited by aN-i-No

98 XLT, 4.0 SOHC 2wd with only 126,XXX. Yeah I got the puny version lol. I love it though, it's been through hell and sat a lot but it goes and goes and goes lol. I don't think I'll ever find a SUV with the visibility and comfort that the Ex has. Every other truck I've driven seems like they designed it for you not to be able to see anything out of.

The SOHC is a BITCH to work on though. If it ever goes out I'm finding a 4.6 for the cheap.

I have heard bad things about the SOHC, but I also heard they make good power, and some go forever. Have you had any problems with the timing chain cassette rattle? I hear it's pretty common thing. I do agree with the visibility, I have been in many other SUV's, and trucks, and the blind spots are horrible. Edited by 1996BLKBauer

I have heard bad things about the SOHC, but I also heard they make good power, and some go forever. Have you had any problems with the timing chain cassette rattle? I hear it's pretty common thing. I do agree with the visibility, I have been in many other SUV's, and trucks, and the blind spots are horrible.

Motor was replaced/timing chain tensioners (that's what they call them now) were updated at 76k. Hopefully I never hear that damn clicking nosie again.

Damn you almost doubled the mileage, any problems since the updated chain/tensioner system? Are you a member on the Explorer Forum? Over there they are gods on everything about the Explorer. But the subject about car audio is small so I got to come over here, and speak to the gods of car audio.