Sundown Audio

i'm extremely unhappy with the box i originally made and i want the best out of what i have. it's a sealed box at 1.08 cubes after displacement. it has all sorts of problems with it. major air leaks, weird proportions and the top piece had some pretty bad water damage, but i took my chances and it didn't work out so the screws are all messed up.

so, i want to build another box from scratch. so what's the best way to go about this? i'm thinking maybe making a taller box with the sub facing up and having a port or two facing forward. i may use the lower volume of 1.50 instead of what everyone else says. i think their site just goes with the number in the middle of their two recommended volumes. i'm running an RE audio DTS1000.1 at 1 ohm. that should be ~800 watts. i still need to have at least one or two clicks back available for the drivers side seat, that's one requirement i have.

some questions:

-is it better for the sub to be facing upwards, backwards or forwards?

-does it matter all that much which way the port(s) is(are) facing?

SA-12 specs/site: http://sundownaudio.com/index.php/products/subwoofers/item/sa-series.html?category_id=2

Try sub forward port passenger side.

Pioneer deh-8300UB

6- Image Dynamics CSX6.5v2

4-Image Dynamics XS-28 tweeters

4-Sundown Audio sa8v2's

1-Sundown Audio SAX-200.4

1-Sundown Audio SAX-1200d

1-Mechman 270a alternator

1-XS Power D3400 under hood

Second Skin Damplifier Pro Deadener

Kicker & Knukoncept 1/0 wiring

Big 3 upgrade

There are so many variables to that equation that you will be trying different boxes for weeks, months, or even years. The guy that will more than likely give you the best answer to your question is, Pete. I'm not completely sure but I'm almost positive he is some kind of acoustical engineer but he is a genius at designing boxes specifically tailored to you vehicle's inner cabin geometry. He will also provide a solution that will enable you to have a box that can be geared either for the best SQ, the highest SPL, the "loudest" sound, or a balance of the three.

Check out this video, and then check out his site in which you can submit and order...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8Q13HvUDjY&feature=plcp

and the site...

http://pwkdesigns.com/

I have a 2002 ext cab Sonoma (virtually same truck) haha

Two SA-12's facing up with port up common chamber common port (basically ported box for 1 sub with 2 installed)

Best setup in my opinion for our vehicles for SQ !!! Not for spl !!! Haha

Ive got an amazing electrical set up on a sundown sax-1200d ... And I'm only hittin 139 in the kick all sealed up ... Sounds shitty I know but I can promise you my buddy's four SA-12's in a trailblazer hittin 151 sounds weak compared to my setup !!! He is certainly producing pressure, but his sq is crap and It honestly doesn't sound or feel as loud as my truck ...

Hope this helps !!!

I have a 2002 ext cab Sonoma (virtually same truck) haha

Two SA-12's facing up with port up common chamber common port (basically ported box for 1 sub with 2 installed)

Best setup in my opinion for our vehicles for SQ !!! Not for spl !!! Haha

Ive got an amazing electrical set up on a sundown sax-1200d ... And I'm only hittin 139 in the kick all sealed up ... Sounds shitty I know but I can promise you my buddy's four SA-12's in a trailblazer hittin 151 sounds weak compared to my setup !!! He is certainly producing pressure, but his sq is crap and It honestly doesn't sound or feel as loud as my truck ...

Hope this helps !!!

awesome! this is the type of information i was looking for. im trying to set it up for SQ anyway. i put some numbers through winisd. the ported box seems to do much much better on the low end. it's all about the loudness and efficiency. i couldn't care less about numbers that show up on an SPL test. spl does not equal loudness.

oh, and would you happen to have a design drawn out on sketch up or solidworks or something similar? i'm interested in seeing the dimensions and where you placed the box. maybe a picture would be good enough, if possible.

thanks

-Ian