How To: Wiring a car amp to computer power supply

Ok. Hi my name is CeeJay and this will be my first write up. i dont know if im posting in the right spot or anything but i just wanted to help some people out on here who are interested in using there car amp at home. I am not responsible for any damages to your amp or power supply. Anywho lets get this how to started.

1. First off you will need a computer power supply. (try to match amps of the power supply to your amp) i have a 450 watt power supply that puts out at 20amps. make sure you do not plug it in until you are done.

20120726_163315.jpg

2. what you want to do next is find the 20/24 pin connector like this

20120726_163358.jpg

3. now you want to find the green wire and next to it should be a black wire.

20120726_163417.jpg

4. you then want to take a paper clip and jump the green and black together or you can just do what i did and just cut them and connected them together with a butt splice. this tells the power supply to turn on when you flip the switch.

20120726_163438.jpg

5. now thats done you want to find the 4 pin molex like this

20120726_163453.jpg

6. cut the black cable(ground) and wire it the ground on your amp, then take the yellow wire(12v) and twist it together with a jumper cable and put it into the 12v/battery of your amp.

20120726_163518.jpg

7. then wire the other end of the jumper cable to your remote turn on like this.

20120726_163534.jpg

8. now thats done wire your speaker. ( im only using this picture as a demo, i have the amp hooked up to 2 cabins)

20120726_163550.jpg

9. forgot to mention im using rca to 3.5 wire but what you want to do next is wire your rca

10. and now that everything is done plug in the power supply and turn it on and this is what you should get.

20120726_163949.jpg

th_20120726_163716.jpg

sorry i dont have a video of everything working my kid started falling asleep and i didnt want to wake him. hope you all enjoy this write up. please let me know if you have any questions or any feed back good or bad. =]

Edited by Kingcuong5o4

nice write up. but that one yellow 12v wire will be able to handle only a few amps, at best.

you'd have to get pretty much all the yellow and adjacent black wires to get some decent power out of the psu. i havent tried doing that, but it seems like it would work just fine. i always just see people running 1000w amps from one or two runs of the yellow 12v wire and it baffles me how their amps still work.

nice write up. but that one yellow 12v wire will be able to handle only a few amps, at best.

you'd have to get pretty much all the yellow and adjacent black wires to get some decent power out of the psu. i havent tried doing that, but it seems like it would work just fine. i always just see people running 1000w amps from one or two runs of the yellow 12v wire and it baffles me how their amps still work.

i havent had any problems running it as it. the amp stays ice cold even at full blast and i measured the output with a multimeter and it was about right for 12v. i dont know if running all the yellow together is a good or not. but it does sound like one since the amp suggests using 8 gauge wiring.