Sundown Audio

Best amp for 1 Fi Q 12

xBevy

I am going to purchase an Fi Q 12. On the Fi website it says they are rated at 1500 rms, although I did some reading and noticed the old ones were only 1000rms. I will be getting the cooling option added, but nothing besides that. I have been looking around at different amps and have considered a few options. So far I've considered either a sax 1200 d or saz 1500 d from sundown audio. I've also thought about Hifonics Brutus brz1200.1d or brz1700.1d. I know that the sundowns are much higher quality and price isn't really an issue, but am I really getting that much more for the extra money?

Some background info on my setup. I have a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero, everything electrical is stock right now but I may upgrade the big 3 and or other components depending on what amp I end up getting. I am also going to get my Fi Q in the 2 ohm version so I can wire it to 1 ohm. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, I am pretty new to car audio. The amps above are only ideas, but I would not be looking to spend more than around 500 dollars on my amp.

Edit: Forgot to add it will be going in a ported box, not sure about the size or tuning of the box yet, I am going to ask for advice for that in another section.

Edited by xBevy

They've upped the suggested RMS since I have had one, interesting.

I'd throw an AQ2200 on it and call it a day, it would take that like a champ.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

They've upped the suggested RMS since I have had one, interesting.

I'd throw an AQ2200 on it and call it a day, it would take that like a champ.

With me being somewhat nooby to car audio, would it be a good idea to get an amp that pushes that high over rated power? I know the cooling increases the handling capabilities but I don't want to accidently blow my stuff. I was hoping to stick below 1700 rms because at least that seems safe to me, but what do I know. Does the Audioque do rated power or is it overrated slightly?

Well Fi underrates their subs, they can take more power than what their site suggests which has been proven a lot, same with other companies. Yes the AQ does rated power, but just because an amp is rated at a certain amount, doesn't mean you have to make it produce that much power. With keeping your signal clean, and having a decent electrical behind the amp, I don't see you running into a problem.

But there are many amps out there that will do around that power you are looking for, there isn't really a "best" to use. I just use AQ because they have been very reliable for me, and don't break the bank.

pPFs4E8.jpg

06 Mini Cooper S

Sundown, SoundQubed

Cadence, XS Power

151s Sealed

155s Outlaw

Windshield @ 37hz

Well Fi underrates their subs, they can take more power than what their site suggests which has been proven a lot, same with other companies. Yes the AQ does rated power, but just because an amp is rated at a certain amount, doesn't mean you have to make it produce that much power. With keeping your signal clean, and having a decent electrical behind the amp, I don't see you running into a problem.

But there are many amps out there that will do around that power you are looking for, there isn't really a "best" to use. I just use AQ because they have been very reliable for me, and don't break the bank.

Thanks for the input, I have heard a little about Audioque but not very much.I will look into the AQ2200 you recommended.

My vote would be on the sundown saz 1500.

I have heard nothing but good things about sundown's amps. Even that they are underrated on the power they actually put out at normal voltage.

Okay, I've pretty much put Hifonics out of the running since I want to do this setup right. So far I'm looking at the Sundown saz 1500 dv2 and the Audioque 2200d. Sundown is a little more pricey at 100 dollars more, I would buy both from authorized dealers brand new. Anyone else have ideas in and around this price range and power?

Could always check out Crescendo BC2000.

Haven't had any personal experience with them, but have heard a ton of great things.

I've got the Crescendo 2k right now which I'm actually planning to hook up to a Q12 once I get my electrical up to par. It's been a great amp so far though. It doesn't even get warm after playing it full tilt for 15-20 minutes. That's at 2 ohms though.

2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 club cab - Sold 2004 Audi S4 Avant

- Fi and Crescendo - Stock Bose System

- http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147725-2002-dodge-dakota-end-of-the-road/?hl=%202002%20%20dakota

136.4 Sealed @ 29hz

137.0 Drivers window open @ 26hz