Second Skin Audio

Box Design Help

KoolDrew

This is my first real system and I plan on running 2 10" FI Q's with a Sundown Audio SAZ-3000D. I have plenty of experience with woodwork, but since this is my first real system where I'm building my own box, I need some help with that.

First off, originally I was planning on facing the subs inside the car and seal off the rest of the trunk. It's a 4-door and I can't really remove the back seat, but the majority of the time the back seat is down anyway. However, after reading a bit more I've heard a lot of people mention and tests done to show the subs may actually be louder facing the rear of the car. What do you guys think the optimal setup in my car will be? I'm driving a 2000 4-door sunfire. Also, if I do face them towards the rear is it still a good idea to keep the seat down?

I know the max recommended for two 10" FI Q's is 2.4 cubic feet. I plan on building a box around there. However, does the recommended take into account port volume or driver displacement or do I have to take that into account myself? If I build the box 30 inches wide, 13 inches high, and 18 inches deep with two inch wide ports on each side (two ports since I'm splitting it into two chambers, one for each sub) I'm assuming that would give me 2.69 cubic feet without driver displacement (but taking into account wood thickeness, 3/4" MDF). With displacement it would bring me down to 2.45 cubic feet, a bit less if I take into consideration that it's split into two chambers. So I think I have box size and dimensions under control?

The problem I have is port width, length, volume, etc. I plan to tune at 32Hz since I heard this was optimal. I was also recommended to do 15 square inches of port per cubic foot of volume. So how big should each port be?

Any input?

keeping the rear seat down will help with the resopnse with the woofer rear firing.

the 2.4 is minus port and woofer. just treat each woofer seperately since in essence you have two separate boxes anyways. so about 1.2 x 15 is 18 sq. inches.

make it easier on yourself and just use the inside dimensions. go look for a decent port calc. or use the re calc. i usually check the port myself with the jl formula and use the calcs to get really close to what i want. remember you don't have to be totally exact but pretty close on the the tuning is cool.

Archived