I know this might seem kind of Newbie, but here it goes: I am planning on installing a flush mounted amp rack on the side of my trunk. I will be mounting at least two amps and a Audio Control LCQ-1. I can't afford all at once so what I am going to do is just mount one at a time to the piece of MDF that the amps will be mounted to. I will complete the front of the amp rack once all amp and processor are purchased.

My question is, is it recommed that I remove the trunk lining from the side or leave it installed? Also, how in the world do I mount the back peice of MDF to the trunk? Do I need to make brackets?

Thanks.

One more...When attaching the back to the front of the amp rack, how do you attach it to the side of the trunk? Or if the back is attached already to the side of the trunk, how do you attach the front? I relize you can attach the front unupolstered, but I would like to upolster it before it is attached and what would you do in the xase of having a fiberglass front sence it would be one peice?

Thanks

One more...When attaching the back to the front of the amp rack, how do you attach it to the side of the trunk? Or if the back is attached already to the side of the trunk, how do you attach the front? I relize you can attach the front unupolstered, but I would like to upolster it before it is attached and what would you do in the xase of having a fiberglass front sence it would be one peice?

Thanks

You can use Velcro, or make it pressure fit around the equipment for a snug fit.

You could build it so the walls go around the base, then attach the top with nice looking screws. I guess you are putting in a plexi window and stuff. You could double the wall thickness up and use threaded inserts and counter sink the screws in the lid. Lots of options. Is the pic below kind of wat you are going for? minus the lid of course.

amprack.jpg

Yes. I don't plan on using any plexiglass. I was thinking after I posted... I could complete both top and bottom (side) and just leave the edges of the top peice unglued until I sink the screws, then just glue/staple the edges?????? Does that make sence?

Thank you for you ideas too.

Mounting to the side of the trunk can be tricky. I don't know if velcro would hold the weight. Usually in a trunk te are gussets, metal the is 90 degrees off te trunk wall that strengthens it. Do you have a picture of the location you want to mount your amp? If there are gussets near by you could use them as a place to mount to, or mount a mount to mount to. If that makes sense.

I suggest putting up an L-bracket along the side, mount the amp, then use a piece of wood that sits flush with the amp to velcro onto the rack that the amp is mounted onto. It shouldn't peel off if you don't use a heavy wood