Sonic Electronix

xtant X1001 unleashed the magic smoke

ok lemme first off start with what happened, was bumping "shorty wana ride" then all of a sudden i heard a crackle noise followed by smoke. i have it pushing 2 JL 12W7s yes i know there underpowered but loud enough for my taste. upon looking in the amplifier i noticed there are only 4 remaining mosfets that arent toast. weird thing is the legs of the mosfets melted and the remaining portion looks fine. what would cause this. i have the big 3 upgrade 120 amp alt. battery comes stock in the rear so power wire is 3 ft 0 gauge ground 1 ft 0 gauge seald box about 5 cuft. 1.5 ohm to the amp. my power wire wasnt fused so i have no idea ho much current the amp was pulling. would a 120 amp fuse have saved it? amp is in for repairs and i have been told its repairable. yes i will fuse it this time. just didnt think it would be a big deal as wire is well protected. is it true that @ 1.5 ohm the power supply isnt regulated and it could have went from pulling more current as opposed to voltage to make power.. please excuse the jumbled post this amp has 10 hours on it and is as good s a paper weight right about now. also i was always under the impression fusing the power wire was to protect it from kinks and potentially shorting out. as opposed to protecting the amp itself.. do these things put out more than rated beteween 1.5 and 1.7 ohm? and dont they have some sort of current overload circut.. voltage was never below 12.2 according to the capicator any help is appreciated id like to not have to repair this amp again. never heard any clipping. and nothing was in casing that could have potentilly shorted out mosfets all though gain was set by ear . was at.1v to 3v. (jumper) gain @ half. deck only has 2.2v preouts no bass boost everything at 0 on deck

if its any help. the amp was purchaced brand new in i wanna say 02 03 it was the first year of production for the x1001 and never used at all till about a month ago. do any other parts other than caps go bad in time? dont mind the multiple posts just trying to get as much info as possible out there.

Archived