Sundown Audio

enclosure design and tuning also depends on how the manufacturer designed the sub. Some design them for sq, some for spl. So their box recommendations reflect their design goals.

I just finished (today) building a box for two SA-8v.2 D2's. I already had a nice well built box at 1.828125cf. Then I added in the 0.08 for sub displacement, 0.0625 for internal matting, 0.015 for wiring, and another 0.03125 for stuffing. That gave me a net volume of 0.7253125ft3 per sub. As jacob stated earlier, the larger the box, the longer the port length. For a 3" diam, I needed like 17", which I didnt have. So I had to go with a 1.55" diameter at 4.5" long. Its the correct tuning, but possibly restrictive due to the smaller diameter. However, upon listening to the setup, it sounds fricken awsome!

I'm ditching my dual DVC 15" subs for these. More musical, goes just about as deep, doesnt take up as much space, super tight bass. I like them a lot. I'll be designing another box for 4 of these SA-8's.

Oh yeah back to the subject. For these subs, it seems like Sundown's box recommendations are spot on for sq and spl. There's a whole lot of electrical (capacitance, inductance, frequency impedance, etc) and mechanical criteria that changes with box size and tuning (port lenght/diam). They've already figured it out, and I can say it does sound great.

ive got my 2 sa8v.2's in box right at 1cbft tuned at 36hz. with a 4in aero port. the port was the issue at first. but i just made a ring on outside of box and that gave me 2 inches from port to magent. and these lil 8's go ape doodoo on any music i put on them. and they get lowwwwwwwwwwwwww. so if im building a system to listen to and not spl i would stay real close to what sundown recommends. and when i say that is based on my experience level.

SONY XAV-701HD
RF power 400.4 RF power 1000bd

3 Sundown x8's d2
2004 f150 single cab
2 sets of components MB quart 6.5 onx (2 tweets 2 6.5 perdoor)
stock batt up fron
BIG 3

http://www.stevemead...-vid-pg-11-922/

http://www.youtube.c.../TheBigmescan74