Second Skin Audio

Torres box help....stat!

Quick question, this isn't making sense to me. Building my box for 2 aa mayhem 18s and my question pertains to the port. Using a "0" related wall port IE like the one Meade has in his box, and I'm coming up with my port being 8"x10"x7" and the tuning frequency at 31.41hz.

Is this right bc that seems awfully small.

Box itself is 41x47x17 netting 15.20cuft after the port installed and subs

Inputs great, building now

150.1 @ 38hz142.3 @ 20hz (windows down)Only 2 batteries

That's what I thought too.

I changed it to 12"10"12" and somehow it's still tuned at 31-33hz (idk the exact # off hand).

Not gonna lie I'm probably gonna make the removable port like Steve has just so I can change it easy if its wrong.

Problem is now idk what extra displacement it's going to take up now but if its too much I may just be running aeros

Anyone else have some input on this? I'm confident with building boxes as I just bought a house so I have a place for all the necessary tools but I've always had a bit of trouble figuring out port size/volume. I admit it, I suck at math ironically bc my dad went to London school of economics and my aunt was an auditor at the dept of treasury :/. I need a calculator to tie my shoes sometimes haha (ok not that retarded)

Have most of my box assembled but here's the dimensions thus far.

47x41 (41 wide is max i can do in my jeep due to wheel wells)x 17

Inside dimensions:

45.5x39.5x15.5

Port that i've come up with on torres:

12x10x 12" long @ roughly 32hz

Going to use steel dowel rods for bracing in the middle of the box and along the sides

Box after displacement of subs is 15.590 cu/ft but i dont know how to calculate how much volume the port takes up because its a 4 sided port with NO common walls *like meades box*** (Not "copying" persay, however with the limited tools i own this seemed like the easiest port to build)

Im probably going to cut a hole roughly 14 tall and 18 wide and have a separate piece on the back with the port built in so if its wrong for some reason i can unbolt one piece and retune it instead of deconstructing the entire box.

Sound okay to everyone? This is my first real "high" powered setup and by far the most expensive so id like to have it right the first time :)

Only thing that sucks is with a 1/4 inch gap from the sides of the box to the other side of the subs there's only about 2 inches between them that i may put a rod as well, not sure if that'd be a problem or not. Also, using 3/4" birch/maple for wood and fiberglassing the entire inside of the box

Archived