Home amp? Steve and his crown amps?

Crown amps are prolly the best Pro audio amps imo. Also, a little known brand is just as good, SQ-wise. The brand is AB International. They're custom pro audio amps made east of Steve in Loomis California. Thing is, Crown amps go for top dollar, and these amps are much cheaper because not many folks know about them. I use a couple for my HT setup and they do sound great. Look on ebay. also their site is ABamps.com.

Yes it would be necessary to run a dedicated circuit to your large amp. A line conditioner would help too.

Many pro amps usually have a "hot Z" input. For example, I have to turn the gains on my AB amps all the way up, and use a preamp to increase the gain, because these amps are designed to take a signal from an electric guitar, mic, etc that have a higher signal. Im taking one of my AB amps to Bob, the AB tech, to redo the inputs to work with home audio.

Now why am I mentioning all this? Its because I think that the Crown may be designed the same. I dont know for sure, but its worth invesitgating.

Or, you could go with those BASH 1000w sub plave amps. Check out Parts Express.com. Ive read great reviews on them

And like the other poster mentioned, you could just go with bass shakers. Parts Express sells their own for like $8 each. I installed 4 of them in my Italian made couch (was a shitload of work) and they work great. Its like having a couple thousand watts under there! But very efficient. You could even do 8 of them for like $100 or so, save a ton of money, and be satisfied with the outcome....

You are not going to find a home or professional amplifier that will do 1 ohm stable, stereo or bridged, unless you're willing to drop a ton of money. Lowest you will ever see is 2 ohm stereo, 4 ohm bridge. With that in mind, series/parallel wiring to 4 ohm will work just fine for home use.

As for hooking it up, all you need technically is the receiver and amp, yes. There are going to be several factors that will go into what you need.

Crown i-Tech Series amps are 1 ohm stable. Definitely not cheap though.

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

I'd try a Crown xti 2002, it will do 2000w RMS @ 4 Ohms plus you dont need an external crossover. xti amps have DSP controls that can be managed from a PC.

(Old Car) 1995 Volkswagon Golf MK3 2.0L:

Fi SP4 18 On A DC Audio 3.5K In A PWK Box

Hertz DSK 6" Speakers, Clarion HU

3x Fullriver 120aH AGM's, 225A Alt

2012 Subaru BRZ:

Audison Prima APK 163

Bit One, Rockford Amps, Audison Sub

You are not going to find a home or professional amplifier that will do 1 ohm stable, stereo or bridged, unless you're willing to drop a ton of money. Lowest you will ever see is 2 ohm stereo, 4 ohm bridge. With that in mind, series/parallel wiring to 4 ohm will work just fine for home use.

As for hooking it up, all you need technically is the receiver and amp, yes. There are going to be several factors that will go into what you need.

Crown i-Tech Series amps are 1 ohm stable. Definitely not cheap though.

Nope, all are 2 ohm/ch stable.

POTATO!

Archived