I7 6700k, 980ti, rog fractal define r5 Latest Build

That and I'm pretty sure in the motherboard manual it says for single video cards to only use the top slot, at least mine does. Usually it wont post with it like that, kinda suprised it did.

Depends on the board. Intel boards can pull PCIe lanes from either the processor or the chipset (southbridge). The Sandy/Ivy Bridge processors have 16 PCIe lanes that are usually run 1 x16 for a single card or 2 x8 for SLI/CrossFireX. The Z77 chipset offers an additional 8 lanes which are split across pretty much everything else on the board. They're used to run an x4 lane, a few x1 lanes, additional SATA or USB ports from a 3rd party controller, and tons else. Some boards won't POST if a single GPU is in a slot off the chipset and some will. Depends on the board and the BIOS.

Gigabyte's site says this about the board:

Expansion Slots

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16

(The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)

* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

* The PCI Express x16 slot supports up to PCI Express 2.0 standard when an Intel 32nm (Sandy Bridge) CPU is installed.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)

* The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX1_2/3 slots. The PCIEX1_2/3 slots will become unavailable when a PCIe x4 expansion card is installed.

3 x PCI Express x1 slots

(PCIEX4 and PCIEX1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)

2 x PCI slots

So it looks like the top slot pulls it's 16 lanes from the CPU and the bottom slot pulls it's lanes from the chipset. It shares those 2 of its 4 lanes with the 2 x1 slots in the middle though. Which means if you kept the card in the second x16 slot you would never be able to use the two x1 slots because they would be deactivated.

Holy wall of text Batman!

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

See what I did there? Because your name is "Benobatman". And Robin always said "Holy [word] Batman!". It's a reference. Get it? Get it?

Nevermind.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived