Plexiglass side? *Help!*

Lab audio

I'm building a box for my new audioque hdc4 15" and it's going to be 3.5-4cu ft box with a slot port tuned to 30hz Ian using 3/4 in MDF wood. I want to do one side of the box with plexiglass and I was wondering if the plexiglass changes the tuning at all? Also, is 3/4 in. Thickness okay? And is there a certain type of plexiglass? Acrylic, polycarbonate, etc... Help would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

3/4 should be more then enough for what you are doing. type of plexi really depends on what you will be doing with it. generally we use acrylic but there are both cast and extruded. extruded will be exact size but cast can be +/- a little bit. if you plan on having it laser'd or anything then you will need to get a certain kind to guarantee good results. If you do plan on getting a design or logo laser cut then ask the place that will be doing it what type of plexi you will need. also make sure you pre drill and oversize your screw hold so the screws do not grab the plexi and crack it when you are screwing it down. also use window foam tape for a hardware store to seal it or you can use a sealant but then the piece is a bitch to get off ever again. hope this helps a little

I was actually looking into doing a box with a pair of HDC412s myself and the top in plexi. is one kind of plexi better as far as transparency or rigidity than another?

Thanks I was pretty excited about the alt myself. kind of like a school girl, in a dress, on a swing. lol

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

My Build Log

Archived