Second Skin Audio

new box build not loud?!?

sbg

well i just hooked up 1 sub at 1ohm for 1000wrms off my amp, i think its the box it only plays low notes, like if i turn on the radio to rock its like i dont have subs? but like if i play (tyga rack city) it will flex the shit out of my truck and kinda be loud, but not as loud as i would think it should be. like i played some riff raff (freeze dried) and the song is playing and u cant hardly hear most of the song then the low notes comes in and its hiting way way harder. my 1st box i built was for 2-12s POWERBASS and tuning was around 50hz and it didnt kill the lows like this box but was way way way louder and them powerbass subs are JUNK. i had some prefab boxs and they were loud in comparision to this box. i think that my truck just dont like the lows and i may need to try and mod this box and see if i can get tuning around 44 hz or something like that, that way i can still play low and get loud to but im not sure if that will work. what u guys think?

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Big 3 sky high and stinger hpm ofc 1/0

Super start platinum AGM (starting)

2 runs of 1/0 Execution audio front to back

Kenwood double DIN DDx271

A pillars- orion 4" super tweeter and 2-1" alpines.

Orion xtx 64 in the front doors

2:1 4th order bandpass

Sealed off trunk

Digital designs deadener on roof/ rear deck

Orion hcca 12s (black coils)

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

All sky high 1/0 in trunk dual runs(power/ground)

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

All sky high 1\0 fuse and holders

Db link remote/ rca

well i just hooked up 1 sub at 1ohm for 1000wrms off my amp, i think its the box it only plays low notes, like if i turn on the radio to rock its like i dont have subs? but like if i play (tyga rack city) it will flex the shit out of my truck and kinda be loud, but not as loud as i would think it should be. like i played some riff raff (freeze dried) and the song is playing and u cant hardly hear most of the song then the low notes comes in and its hiting way way harder. my 1st box i built was for 2-12s POWERBASS and tuning was around 50hz and it didnt kill the lows like this box but was way way way louder and them powerbass subs are JUNK. i had some prefab boxs and they were loud in comparision to this box. i think that my truck just dont like the lows and i may need to try and mod this box and see if i can get tuning around 44 hz or something like that, that way i can still play low and get loud to but im not sure if that will work. what u guys think?

yea, but you said you hooked up only one sub, that is not a true dual chamber box, both subs share the port, hooking only one sub up in that box will be like having 1 10" tuned to 20 hz or some shit in a box that is way too big, with a passive radiator, lol, your nearly freee airing it, a single sub in that box, the port physics, and box size are built for the pressure of two subs playing, not just one.

that is why its only picking up very low notes, if your tuned at 35hz, ( both subs are playing) you should be hitting a wide range for hz for pretty much any music, tuning to 44hz will be nearly non musical, and you will find yourself searching for songs that play well, rather than everything playing well

XS-power1.jpg

yea, but you said you hooked up only one sub, that is not a true dual chamber box, both subs share the port, hooking only one sub up in that box will be like having 1 10" tuned to 20 hz or some shit in a box that is way too big, with a passive radiator, lol, your nearly freee airing it, a single sub in that box, the port physics, and box size are built for the pressure of two subs playing, not just one.

that is why its only picking up very low notes, if your tuned at 35hz, ( both subs are playing) you should be hitting a wide range for hz for pretty much any music, tuning to 44hz will be nearly non musical, and you will find yourself searching for songs that play well, rather than everything playing well

Ok ic what your saying. Well In the design for this box it had 2-45s and a triangle 45 in the port and I didn't put them in. Going to build them today and put them in and see if that fix's it, I should have just put them in the 1st time but I was being stupid thinking that they would not make a differance, some times u have to live and learn.

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Sealed off trunk

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

Db link remote/ rca

Ok ic what your saying. Well In the design for this box it had 2-45s and a triangle 45 in the port and I didn't put them in. Going to build them today and put them in and see if that fix's it, I should have just put them in the 1st time but I was being stupid thinking that they would not make a differance, some times u have to live and learn.

those 45s will take up so little airspace the difference should not be dramatic, can you snap some pictures of your wiring to your subs?

Have you tested both subs to be sure they work?

XS-power1.jpg

those 45s will take up so little airspace the difference should not be dramatic, can you snap some pictures of your wiring to your subs?

Have you tested both subs to be sure they work?

All unhooked now,

I got them out of box now and have the 1st 45 cut, and yes both subs work tested both out and dmm reads 2.2 on each coil also. I didn't think the 45 would do shit, but do u think the one that is to be in the port would make a big big improvement ?

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Sealed off trunk

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

Db link remote/ rca

The one in the port is the most important one...the others will probably do nothing, that one will do alot. Did you ever check phase? Pop test them with a 9v battery after betting them wired up, both cones should move in the same direction

Edit: don't worry about underpowering a speaker, if your gains are set correctly, it is impossible to damage a speaker by giving it too little power and underpowering it

Team NorthWestSPL

The one in the port is the most important one...the others will probably do nothing, that one will do alot. Did you ever check phase? Pop test them with a 9v battery after betting them wired up, both cones should move in the same direction

Edit: don't worry about underpowering a speaker, if your gains are set correctly, it is impossible to damage a speaker by giving it too little power and underpowering it

the reason I stated that is because, i've seen a lot of people clip the shit out of subs with too little power, I should have been more clear

XS-power1.jpg

Well joe x did the design for the box and this is what he said.....Sure if you didn't properly do the deflector inside the port will probably have some less port efficiency.

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Sealed off trunk

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

Db link remote/ rca

*^ and I didn't put it in at all

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Sealed off trunk

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

Db link remote/ rca

I will test them with the 9v, and the underpowered... I have my bass boost off and my gain at 3/4 the way up, gain goes to 5v and I think my HU out put is 4v so I would think I am good on that. May have small clip hard to say I don't have a dd1

01 focus se

110 amp alt

Sealed off trunk

Orion xtr3700.1

Orion xtr250.2 mid/highs

Sky high dual 1/0 inputs

2 xs power D3100 in back

Sky high batt blocks

Rose audio batt blocks

Stinger volt meter

Db link remote/ rca

Archived