ncochran Posted April 26, 2013 Report Posted April 26, 2013 So.. I am looking at building my first spl box. I don't care how it sounds on music at all. I just want pure spl. If it happens to be tolerable on music so be it. I have 3 e8v3d2 subs. With the rues for Iasca on "walls" I have to keep total enclusure height under 25" and will be starting with subs back port up in the back hatch of a Scion xB. Could of main questions and I know there are tons of variables and it requires testing to perfect. I am looking at about a 1.5 cube box because if I understand correctly, most spl boxes are smaller and higher tuned that normal boxes. So I was thinking of staying on the smaller side of Sundown's recommendations. I was also thinking of tuning the box somewhere between 40-45hz. I know that all subs and vehicles have different characteristics, I am just looking for a place to start. Any thoughts on size/tuning, or anyone with an xB have any personal experiences to share? My power is a Hifonics brz-2100 currently wired at 1.3 ohms. Optima blue top battery up front, big 3 done, and 1/0 cca. Thanks for any advice! A box design would be cool if anyone has the time but I am capable of making my own. I am mostly just looking for starting points and specs atm. 2006 Scion xB 2 Sundown SA12D2 Ported at 32hz 147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL) Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet) Hifonics brz2100 Alpine Type-S Components Kicker 300.2 Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca Optima Blue Top 3 e8s ported at 32hz 135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz 135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol) Build log 'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said: May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.
ncochran Posted April 27, 2013 Author Report Posted April 27, 2013 anyone? 2006 Scion xB 2 Sundown SA12D2 Ported at 32hz 147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL) Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet) Hifonics brz2100 Alpine Type-S Components Kicker 300.2 Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca Optima Blue Top 3 e8s ported at 32hz 135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz 135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol) Build log 'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said: May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.
DFWxB Posted April 28, 2013 Report Posted April 28, 2013 First or second gen xb? i have a first gen and can tell you by experience the resonant frequency of the car is 58hz...
DFWxB Posted April 28, 2013 Report Posted April 28, 2013 With a setup like yours i would try sub up port up... i have also had good luck with subs and ports leaned on about a 45 boucing off the back hatch... usually on a burp box you build slightly smaller than spec and run larger on the port 16-18sq in per cube is pretty normal...
DFWxB Posted April 28, 2013 Report Posted April 28, 2013 My box is tuned at 46 and still peaks 58 no matter what... the xb has quite a bit of cabin gain...
ncochran Posted April 28, 2013 Author Report Posted April 28, 2013 Awesome, it is first gen. I will give that a shot. Thanks much for the advice! 2006 Scion xB 2 Sundown SA12D2 Ported at 32hz 147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL) Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet) Hifonics brz2100 Alpine Type-S Components Kicker 300.2 Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca Optima Blue Top 3 e8s ported at 32hz 135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz 135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol) Build log 'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said: May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.
DFWxB Posted April 28, 2013 Report Posted April 28, 2013 No problem... just starting a new build... the old setup with 2 jl 12w6's on a 1000/1 did a 148.3...
ncochran Posted April 29, 2013 Author Report Posted April 29, 2013 nice, I finally got my 8s metered (currently tuned to 32hz and have polyfill in the box) I peaked at 56hz and scored 135.5 on the dash. My outlaw score was only 135.0 but I think the song screwed me up. It was a pretty quick sweep and didn't really stay in the sweet spot long enough I think. I think I may build and spl box now and see how much I can raise that score. 2006 Scion xB 2 Sundown SA12D2 Ported at 32hz 147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL) Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet) Hifonics brz2100 Alpine Type-S Components Kicker 300.2 Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca Optima Blue Top 3 e8s ported at 32hz 135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz 135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol) Build log 'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said: May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.
DFWxB Posted April 29, 2013 Report Posted April 29, 2013 Sounds like a plan... i just bought 2- DD 9515i's and a DD M3b... should be fun...
Dd9515 king Posted May 11, 2013 Report Posted May 11, 2013 That is going to be fun i have 9515f's go with at lest 18sqin of port per cbft. On ur spl box.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.