Big 3 installed and no voltage increase?

The crimper will close the metal part of your terminal evenly around your conductors. Your connections most likely have air gaps either on the sides or tops. This can (probably won't.. but it can) lead to arcing between your wire and the sides of your terminal. However, electricity ALWAYS follows the path of least resistance, which should always be where any of the strands contact the terminal.

I suppose there could be increased heat and decreased current if you were somehow channeling most of the current through a very small contact point on the terminals.

My biggest concern with your connections would be that hammered connections will never be as secure as crimped or soldered connections. Depending on exactly how well you hammered them on (each one will be different) you run a fair risk of the wire eventually pulling out of the terminal.

To echo a lot of the above posts, grounds are super important and often neglected.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

The crimper will close the metal part of your terminal evenly around your conductors. Your connections most likely have air gaps either on the sides or tops. This can (probably won't.. but it can) lead to arcing between your wire and the sides of your terminal. However, electricity ALWAYS follows the path of least resistance, which should always be where any of the strands contact the terminal.

I suppose there could be increased heat and decreased current if you were somehow channeling most of the current through a very small contact point on the terminals.

My biggest concern with your connections would be that hammered connections will never be as secure as crimped or soldered connections. Depending on exactly how well you hammered them on (each one will be different) you run a fair risk of the wire eventually pulling out of the terminal.

To echo a lot of the above posts, grounds are super important and often neglected.

Thanks guys.. Yea I will redo the terminals and add some copper grounding straps and let you know if I get improvement. Thanks!

Archived